Finding Cherry on My own?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dutchman46
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006
    • 56
    • Holland Michigan
    • BT3000

    #1

    Finding Cherry on My own?

    This is a little funny question! but, I am going into a stand of trees hoping to identify cherry, I know that trees are ready to be removed, How do I identify Cherry wood, Trees? What to I look for?
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • 7091
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

    #2
    They'll all tell you they're cherry, but none of them really is...

    Comment

    • JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • 4187
      • Lexington, SC.

      #3
      You should probably google cherry trees or something to get pictures. Cherry trees are secondary growth - they grow in after other trees provide some cover. So they are typically close to another tree. The bark is fairly smooth and the leaves are somewhat small oval shaped. I think you will need a picture, however. They are not hard to spot once you get it figured out. We cut down a bunch of really big ones for firewood (bad I know) at a church we belonged to in Pennsylvania. The other trees had been removed first so the cherrys got a couple feet in diameter. They would have made great lumber. The ones in my natural area are tiny.

      I got bored and googled up some pictures for you. The tree is what you want. There is a lot of nice wood in it. The first bark picture is more what a mature tree looks like. Branches and little trees look like the second bark picture. The folage is during the time the little "fruit" appears. The leaves stay looking this way, however.

      Jim
      Attached Files
      Last edited by JimD; 04-05-2010, 01:29 PM. Reason: Added pictures

      Comment

      • phi1l
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 681
        • Madison, WI

        #4
        Look for the ones growing on whipped cream

        Actually it can be difficult this time of year with no leaves on the trees there. For me it is more of a texture thing rather than color.
        Last edited by phi1l; 04-05-2010, 08:46 AM.

        Comment

        • Dutchman46
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2006
          • 56
          • Holland Michigan
          • BT3000

          #5
          Thank you, Jim, and Phill, The pictures help a lot, I did try to get some pictures, and came up with nurserys trying to sell seedlings. It seemed like that was all the darn thing would find. Thanks again You too, Unc, Didn't see You there!
          Last edited by Dutchman46; 04-05-2010, 05:48 PM.

          Comment

          • pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • 4217
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

            #6
            A tree field manual can come in pretty handy.
            http://forestry.about.com/od/aboutfo...ree_guides.htm

            I had a National Audubon Society guide when I was doing some landscaping and site development courses in college. It also served me well when I was working for a surveyor when doing tree surveys. I wish I knew where it went.
            Erik

            Comment

            Working...