• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by JR
    I'm definitely wrong. I just made sample joint using my theory and it didin't work out, for the exact reason you said.

I think you're going to have to assemble the case then do the roundovers. You'd probably want to make a special base, as described in your Woodnet thread. Alternatively you could freehand it as Maloof wouild do!

JR
    In my heart of hearts, I knew Maloof wouldn't just make the whole piece by
    machine given how sculptural his chairs are. I guess going at it freehand means
    it will take me longer to mess it up

Thanks for testing that out. This 9-5 thing is really getting in the way of my
    shop time.

Paul

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      In my heart of hearts, I knew Maloof wouldn't just make the whole piece by
      machine given how sculptural his chairs are. I guess going at it freehand means
      it will take me longer to mess it up

Thanks for testing that out. This 9-5 thing is really getting in the way of my
      shop time.

Paul
      I just came up from a rub-out and waxing and Googled Sam Maloof chest of drawers Paul. I found one at the FWW gallery in an article on Maloof. It is not the same one you show but.. it is a Scandinavian piece and it does have round-overs on the side panel fronts and the drawer stiles. The picture is dead on an you can see the joints clearly.

As I suspected.. he coped the joinery where they meet which is the only way I know of to blend the two without a gap if you don't recess the stile. So.. your piece probably does have the round-overs meet as I also saw a bureau of his where the same joinery was used.

So.. as Paul Harvey would always say.... that's the rest of the story!

Good luck....

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Here's the close-up of the divider. You can see the tongue detail coming
        through the front.

And one of the side to the horizontal joint. The detail is harder to see but I
        think I can see the tongue there, too. It could be coped but doesn't look like
        it.

I think I see a flat part in the first pic so it does seem like a round-over bit was
        used AFTER assembly and not a bullnose bit before.

Anyway, I can't work on it tonight. My wife has a friend over for dinner.

Paul
        Last edited by atgcpaul; 08-22-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• jsm0723
          Handtools only
          • Jul 2012
          • San Diego, CA
          • Grizzly

Plans

I just joined BT3 and I came across your maloof dresser. Nice work. Last year I made a similar style night stand, and now I'm off to make the matching dresser. Do you by chance have the sketchup file for your sides? Getting the upper and lower arches is kind of finicky. Take care.

Shane Martin
          Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

This is an old thread, but a good one. If you want to see a fitted tongue, it can be done as the joint being made that way. A blind dado, allowing the front edges to be a butt, can be rounded over after assembly, and the little quirks left by the radius bit can be shaped out.

If plywood is the choice for the cabinet, a solid wood edging can be added after assembly, and the same detail machined to it.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Just noticed a post on this thread. Wow, didn't realize they stuck around this long. PM me your email address and I'll email you the sketch up file. This was definitely one of my favorite projects. I use it every day when I get my daughter dressed for daycare and for bed. She's 2 now (on July 4). Time flies.

I still have the template so I'll trace out the arches and scan them in and send it as a PDF. The sketchuped arches were more for guidance.
              Last edited by atgcpaul; 08-15-2012, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

I uploaded the Sketchup file to my Google docs for download. I'll get to tracing out the arches later--much later.

Access Google Drive with a Google account (for personal use) or Google Workspace account (for business use).

Comment

• Michiganwood
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Michigan
                  • Shop fox, no complaints

Just wanted to say thank you to agc Paul. I used your measurements and the comments on this post to create my own version. I used ash. I know this is an old post and no one may see this but thanks for the inspiration. I tried to load a pic but it won’t let me.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

That's excellent! I'm glad it worked out for you.

I think you need to have a few more posts under your belt before the site lets you post pictures. Stick around, post a couple more messages, then come back and post your pictures. Sometimes the admins will waive that for you.

I like working with ash. My dresser was heavy enough in walnut and yours must be even heavier in ash!

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Paul did you ever post finished pics of the dresser?

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by tfischer
                        Paul did you ever post finished pics of the dresser?
                        Sure did. Here is the whole series, I think, in chronological order. This was all pre-kids so it took just about 2 months from start to finish (without the planning phase). I'm disappointed so many of the picture links are now dead. I will make an effort to update those. Amazing how many of the people who originally replied have either passed or are no longer active here.

The TLDR final link is last.

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

This dresser and the one I made for my other daughter now are on loan at my parents' house in their guest bedrooms while we are overseas. The slick strips I used for the drawers still run great and it's still a pleasure to run my hands over the curves.

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

Thanks, I will look these over as it seems like a great project. I agree that it's sad how many of the active members of old are no longer with us, in one way or another. I was away from this site when you posted this project, and when I saw the thread reactivated today, I was first excited that someone was posting a big project again, before I realized it was an old thread

Comment

• Michiganwood
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jan 2019
                            • Michigan

Ooh wow. Just saw your pictures, very nice. I like the book matched back and knobs. I went with plywood in the back to save time/money. I also used full extension sliders, again just easier. I’ll keep posting and hopefully show you pictures soon
                            i found this post when googling how to build a Maloof dresser.
                            I like this site and hopefully can contribute some posts. To bad to hear many have passed away. Hopefully there legacy can live on.

Comment

• Michiganwood
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2019
                              • Michigan

I built the whole thing before seeing all your other threads. I thought this was the only one Lol. That router jig would have been nice but I made due. Hopefully I get enough posts in soon

Comment

• Michiganwood
                                Forum Newbie
                                • Jan 2019
                                • Michigan

Comment

• atgcpaul
                                  atgcpaul commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Nice. Keep 'em coming!
                              Working...