• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Which clear coat?

This is a bit OT for this board but with such a diverse knowledge base I figured that it was worth a try.

My daughter painted a child's poem on a piece of old roofing slate and is afraid that it is going to spall and ruin the piece. She's asking the all-knowing father what I'd use and I said that I'd get back to her. The only thing that I can think of would be a two-part, clear epoxy like what is used on restaurant tables and to embed scorpions and such in a block of it. Do you think that this is the best bet or is there another? This would be what I was thinking of.

TIA
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

The two part pour on stuff works good as long as it's not exposed to weather or direct sunlight.

Comment

• MilDoc

Mirror Coat. Great stuff.

I have a coffee table made out of reclaimed driftwood, in the 1970s. Still in great shape.

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004

Thanks, gents! Sounds like the ticket and you have helped to preserve my status at the all- knowing... naa, they know that I hit this forum for most of what I need.

Thanks again!
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004

Hey, the daughter just threw a wrench into our solution. She doesn't want a glossy or yellow finish. I don't know of anything like that other than to use a heavy build of polyvinyl acrylic (like Min-Wax). I haven't done more than 4 coats and that was with sanding between coats (she shouldn't require that). Kids!
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by ironhat
            Hey, the daughter just threw a wrench into our solution. She doesn't want a glossy or yellow finish. I don't know of anything like that other than to use a heavy build of polyvinyl acrylic (like Min-Wax). I haven't done more than 4 coats and that was with sanding between coats (she shouldn't require that). Kids!
            What about Mod Podge? In 3rd grade vacation Bible school, we Mod Podged
            the Lord's Prayer on a small piece of wood. That plaque is still holding up well
            25 years later. If the slate isn't going outside, then this should work for you.
            It dries clear and it's not glossy.

Paul

Comment

• ironhat
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004

I'll have to look into that, Paul. I hadn't thought of that in years!
              Blessings,
              Chiz

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Originally posted by MilDoc
                Mirror Coat. Great stuff.

I have a coffee table made out of reclaimed driftwood, in the 1970s. Still in great shape.
                I have looked at Mirror Coat on the shelf but have not yet had a need to use it. How do you apply it and does it really self level?
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

Working...