Emergency project planning (Anniversary)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rnelson0
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008
    • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
    • Firestorm FS2500TS

Emergency project planning (Anniversary)

Hi all. I need your help for a little project. Our wedding anniversary is coming around and the traditional theme this year is "wood". Well, what better way to use all those tools I had to ask permission for, right?

The problem is that today is 10/29. Our anniversary is on 11/2. Yes, I am a procrastinator, but I am getting better - at least I have 4 full days to plan and work!

I was hoping you might be able to offer me some suggestions for simple but quality items that I could build with 4 days, probably 4 hours or less available time per night, to make something that is special. I do not have any materials onhand and my shop is still kind of small, but I am sure there are some small ideas people have.

Some things I have thought of:
    * My wife runs her own lab. A simple, triangular, wooden nameplate that says "Dr. Block" would be nice. The problem is the lettering. I have a dremel if that helps, but I would need to get some sort of stencil.
    * A small box. My wife already has a place for her jewelry, but a nice box made with finger joints and contrasting wood colors always looks nice, right?

And...that is about it. I enjoy woodworking but I really have no raw creative side. Give me a plan, I will find 10 ways to tweak it to what I want - just do not ask me to come up with the base plan. I also realize that I am asking a group that is 99% male for help on an anniversary present If you can just throw out some ideas of <16 hour projects you have made for a significant female in your life, hopefully I can find something that works and get cracking soon.

Thanks!
  • rnelson0
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008
    • Firestorm FS2500TS

Other pertinent info. I have:
    * Table saw
    * 8" dado kit
    * Cordless jig saw
    * Cordless drills
    * Orbital palm sander
    * Orbital 1/4 sheet sander
    * Some hand planes of varying quality
    * A router with a common bit set (no router table!)
    * Bunch of clamps from 6-48"

I can not make anything that requires a planer, jointer or a router table. I can route the edges of bigger boards if I can clamp it, but smaller boards are impossible.

Comment

• thrytis
      • May 2004
      • Concord, NC, USA.
      • Delta Unisaw

Hm, <16 hours would give me enough time to make a jig to make something based on my standard rate.

Two other possibilities might be a decorative shelf if she has knickknacky stuff (something small that you attach to a wall) or a picture frame. Some box store moldings may help you spruce up either without requiring special router bits or a router table. You might also look through Wood Magazine's gift plans for inspiration.

Good luck!
      Eric

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I have a little more slack time than you, but not much. You seem to have more evening free time than I do, so you have that advantage...

I am building a shadow box for the bouquet that LOML carried for our wedding.

I need to get material Friday afternoon due to budget issues. I am planning on building the entire thing from white oak mostly because it is what Lowes has, and I don't have the time, budget, or need for the minimum material order from M&G Sawmill right now...

I am going to have the poem / text from the wedding invitations engraved on 4x6 silver plate which will in turn be screwed to the back wall of the box. If you have a Things Remembered shop near you, you can get your engraving done with their CNCish machine...

A nice basic plaque with a good profiled edge, and her name for her desk would be nice if she is a working professional as well...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• x00018
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2006
          • Cranberry Twp, PA
          • Sears BT3000 Clone

* My wife runs her own lab. A simple, triangular, wooden nameplate that says "Dr. Block" would be nice. The problem is the lettering. I have a dremel if that helps, but I would need to get some sort of stencil.
          Thanks

Print out the phrase from your pc and tape it to the triangle. Cut the letters out with a utility knife to score the wood for the outline of the letters.

Dave

Comment

• tlt
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Tucson, Arizona.
            • Delta 36-682

Print out the phrase from your pc and tape it to the triangle. Cut the letters out with a utility knife to score the wood for the outline of the letters.
            another option is to use a piece of carbon paper, and trace over the computer printout to get the outline on the wood you can pick up a cheap (<$10) woodburning tool from the craft section of walmart that works great for burning the letters. i am not an artist but was amazed at how well this works.

Comment

• rnelson0
              Established Member
              • Feb 2008
              • Firestorm FS2500TS

Thanks guys. Given the time constraints and your suggestions, I opted for finding a local trophy shop that does engraved nameplates (Things Remembered will only engrave items they sell you, of course) and then went to woodcraft and purchased some Bubinga. It is a nice contrast to her desk surface but not too exotic for her conservative work environment. I will try and make something like this:

I will be sure to post pictures, as much as the frantic pace lets me

Comment

• rnelson0
                Established Member
                • Feb 2008
                • Firestorm FS2500TS

Everything is going well and I have something that approximates what is in that photo. Of course, I did not take any pictures, which is probably good for the camera considering the sawdust covering my bench.

Anyway, the bubinga has a very nice figure but there are some open pores, some of significant size. I am going to do a natural finish, aka just poly, but I think a pore filler may be required. The biggest gaps are not very wide at all but very long. For a poly finish, will I need pore filler or will it be okay without? If I do need pore filler, do you have any recommendations? I should be able to finish assembly tomorrow and put the finish on in the evening.

Oh, one other thing. I may be getting a branding iron for our anniversary. I assume this would go on before any sort of finish, right?

Thanks!
                Last edited by rnelson0; 10-31-2008, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

If you're willing to let someone else do your lettering/imaging on the wood, have a local Woodcraft, I believe they have a laser service (I know my local store does, YMMV) - anything you can put in a file, they can laser for you (up to a certain size.)

So you can make your base piece as decorative as suits you, and have the lasering added.
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• rnelson0
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • Firestorm FS2500TS

All, thanks for the help. You can see the completed project here.

Comment

Working...