• Show
Clear All
  • IBBugsy
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Allentown, PA.
    • BT3100

OK, more thanks!!

1) I have a contractor lumber yard about 1/4 mile from my home so I can get good lumber there.

2) Since the width is 9 ft, I don't think I can easily build the bottom and 2nd row as separate assemblies? Maybe I could get 10 ft plywood but I have enough trouble handling 8 ft. If I leave them as separate boxes, then maybe 1/2" ply would be good enough.

3) Clamps could be a problem - I have about 12 mostly in pairs in various sizes. That's one reason I was thinking of pocket holes.

4) I also thought that the black paint would hide the pocket holes pretty well. I assume the holes are on the inside generally?

5) I'll have to look into knockdown fasteners. Put together many IKEA stuff so I should be able to figure them out.

6) Though I haven't mentioned it yet, temperatures, humidity and warping could be issues. My shop is my garage and this is a winter project in PA. My thoughts are to rough cut the plywood immediately and store them inside right next to where the entertainment will be going. Then heat up the garage with my propane heater and take a couple of boards out at a time to work on. Wife's OK with that.
    Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
    "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I'm late to the party, but FWIW ...

I agree with Keith that the unit needs to sit on a base, both for leveling purposes and for appearance. Recess the front and ends an inch or two, to make the unit appear to float above the floor.

Although the 60 lb. weight of the TV isn't that great, you have its load transferring downward out in the middle of the center box in the bottom row. If the TV is pulled out toward the front of the unit, for best viewing at an angle, the top of this center box could sag unless it's doubled in thickness, or reinforced with a face frame. Any sagging here will be very noticeable because that's where everyone will be looking (i.e., at the TV). Proportionally, I would be inclined to make the boxes in the bottom two rows all the same 3' width, and let the 4" height difference be the only difference. This may not work with your equipment distribution, however.

While I agree that a back will add substantial strength, I have to object, at least partially, on aesthetic grounds. The 20" depth means you will end up with a collection of deep, dark bins all stacked atop each other; with a fully closed back, this will be one MASSIVE looking unit. I suggest a hybrid approach: put a full back on the lower two rows, and none on the upper three. This will allow the wall behind the unit to show through, and give it a much lighter look. Granted, it will also make the wires harder to hide; but you can minimize that by carefully routing them up the back edges of the verticals. You might also consider pulling the two end towers in toward the middle an inch or two, to break the massing of the unit down into smaller elements. (If you do this, you could then dispense with the top panel over the TV cubby, if you wanted to.)

Lastly, a narrow face frame -- say 1-1/4" wide -- front and back would help with the wire hiding problem, and would give the unit a more substantial look. Furniture made with 3/4" sight lines is quick to build but often looks cheap because everyone knows what 3/4" plywood and boards look like. A narrow face frame would add weight and elegance in the same way that 5/4" trim in a house always looks a lot richer than ordinary 3/4" material.
      Last edited by LarryG; 10-27-2008, 03:33 PM.
      Larry

Comment

• IBBugsy
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Allentown, PA.
        • BT3100

Thanks, Larry!

I was thinking of possibly only backing the bottom two rows and also about adding face frames. I'll keep those in mind and work it out with my wife. I could start without backing on the side units and add them later once I see how it looks.

I also give that sagging some thought....
        Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
        "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

Working...