• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rand
    Established Member
    • May 2005
    • Vancouver, WA, USA.

polyurethane over danish oil?

Can you put polyurethane on top of wood finished with Danish Oil?
    Rand
    "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by Rand
    Can you put polyurethane on top of wood finished with Danish Oil?

Danish oil is basically a mix of mineral spirits, boiled linseed oil, and an oil based varnish. Once dry (cured) you can topcoat with an oil based polyurethane. But, with sufficient applications, the Danish Oil will provide near them same protection due to the varnish (resin) applications. Or, you can mix your own by using an oil base polyurethane, BLO, and mineral spirits (or naptha, for a faster dry). Increasing the percentage of the poly, or just using a thinned version of the oil base poly will work.

Comment

• Rand
      Established Member
      • May 2005
      • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Thanks C-Man
      Rand
      "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

If you do apply Danish first in lieu of mixing your own... allow it to dry throughly. Wipe it every few hours with a clean cloth as tiny beads of oil will keep coming back to the surface as the oil penetrates but the wood will force excess back to the surface. I wipe every hour or so for the first 6 hours and then every 6-10 hours until no more beads appear.

Be patient and let it sit a few days... wipe occasionally with a clean cloth and when no film appears on that cloth.. no oil odor is ommitted and no oily film appears on your cloth you can apply the poly. As cabinet man mentioned... I cut mine to 70%-30% on the first coat to seal pores. Lightly hand sand (and I mean very lightly) with no lower than 220 grit to take off any nibs (bubbles), dust specs, etc. then I apply about 3-4 coats with a folded pad that has been wet with mineral spirits and wrung out. Those coats were mixed to around 60%-40%.

And I let it sit another 3-5 days once done before the piece sees traffic. Table tops or related see heavy traffic and I generally let it sit for about a week to let the poly fully cure meaning it will reach it's ultimate hardness. Other items with less heavy traffic can take shorter but I will never subject the piece to any traffic unless it cures for 3 days.

BTW.. pure linseed oil has a very slow dry time and tung oil even more...
        Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2008, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...