• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Finishing for Flames!

Has anybody made any candlesticks or other things intended to hold a burning flame e.g. nite lite, votive etc?

What would be the best way to finish a) to protect against fire and also so that any melted wax would be easy to clean off.

It seems to me that a wax based finish would not be a good idea as the molten wax might mix with the finish and ruin it. Also would a wax based finish be flammable?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Just a bump - sorry

Does anybody have any input on my question?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• hermit
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Somerset, PA, USA.

I don't see any reason why polyurethane wouldn't work. Once its cured, I doubt it would be any more flammable than the wood itself. Shellac might be fine too.

Todd

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I agree that poly should be sufficient. Most any finish will do. I should say, in my opinion, that any oil based _satin_ finish would seem to be the best.

As wax melts and falls on the finish, if the finish is too shiny the wax might dull it and make it sheen like at the spot, in which case a very shiny finish will show where melted wax has been.

On oil based finishes, waxes only enhance the finish in most cases. I don't know how they do on the new water based poly's.

Just my opinion but I would be interested in seeing other ideas on the subject.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...