• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drillman88
    • Dec 2007
    • Southeast
    • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

spraying shellac

I just finished building a 6' long bench for my wife and wanted to try spraying it with bulls-eye shellac.I have a standard top cup conversion gun and a hvlp conversion gun I can use.I am going to get some practice on scrap before I go to the bech.I was wondering if any body uses this succesfully and what kind of problems I can run into.
    Thanks in advance
    I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.
  • pbui3057
    Established Member
    • Jul 2008
    • Mather, CA
    • BT3000

We actually just finished spraying BIN with the Harbor Freight HVLP kit and it turned out pretty good. Just make sure you have the store shake the can VERY WELL!!! We bought some denatured alcohol to clean up but didn't thin it. It was Zinnser BIN so I think it's similar but I am not sure.

Comment

• pcombs
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2006

Which needle did you use - the larger or smaller one

Comment

• drillman88
        • Dec 2007
        • Southeast
        • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I sprayed BIN last year on some plantation shutters I built with good results.That is why I wanted to try the bulls eye but I am not sure that the consistancy is similar.I was thinking that the shellac was much thinner.
        I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• pbui3057
          Established Member
          • Jul 2008
          • Mather, CA
          • BT3000

Originally posted by pcombs
          Which needle did you use - the larger or smaller one
          I used the middle needle that was pre-installed on the kit. I used the middle needle for the acrylic enamel (thinned) and the polycrylic (straight) also! I went overboard with the spray but it was just so easy and the results were fantastic! I just need to put the hardware on the toy kitchen and it is all set! I have been very happy with everything so far.

I am not sure what the viscosity differences are between the BIN and the Bullseye.

Comment

• just started
            • Mar 2008
            • suburban Philly

Which HF HVLP gun are you referring to? I've been thinking about getting one but haven't decided if I should get the one with it's own motor or the one that hooks to a regular compressor.

Comment

Working...