• Show
Clear All
  • lakkdainen
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007
    • Cincinnati, OH
    • Craftsman 21829

Does dye interfere with wood glue?

I have a few pieces that would be convenient to dye before gluing up. I'm wondering if the water based dye (transfast) will interfere with the glue sticking. Ideally you could mask off the areas to be glued, but dyes seem to seep into the wood and would probably go around the mask.

Since it's just water base, it wouldn't seal the wood like say, an oil base stain, so I'm thinking it would be OK and the glue would still penetrate. Has anyone tried it?
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Lakk,

I use water based dye a lot, and have never had any glue problems. I use TB II or III. All of the dyed joints were not under much stress as they were mostly boxes and other small stuff.

I am currently making some little dyed boxes from a plan in the 12/07 issue of Woodsmith. The article says, "you might want to tape the ends. . .to avoid getting dye on them. The dye could prevent the glue from bonding properly."

I did not tape. I tried to limit the dye on the glue surfaces. Some time ago, when I tried to tape, the dye got underneath anyway.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• lakkdainen
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2007
      • Cincinnati, OH
      • Craftsman 21829

Thanks. This is for an end table, which is basically a form of cabinet. The plan is to use TBII glue and pocket screws. I think I'll go ahead and try it unless anyone else objects. Theoretically, the pocket screws by themselves should be strong enough.

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

I agree with Steve, go for it.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

I do it all the time with Transtint with no ill effects on glue up using TB II or III.

Comment

Working...