• Show
Clear All
  • Wesley Nance
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2003
    • Rochester, NY.

Please help me refine my routine for cutting square panels

Hi,

I've mostly only built boxes on my BT3100, speaker cabinets, and such, usually to be veneered, so accurate cutting is important. I'm always working with 3/4" MDF for these, and wanted some outside input on my methods, which I'm not convinced are very efficient.

I start by ripping a 4'x4' sheet of MDF to slightly wider than I need, let's say I need a 20"x20" panel, I'll cut to 21". If I get a clean run on the fence, then I'll flip the piece and cut to 20", so now I have parallel sides at 20".

Next I'll put the miter table in and crosscut the end off the piece to get a square end, then flip the piece and put it back on the fence and cut to 20" again.

So basically I'm cutting a piece parallel, then using the mitre table to get a square end, then using that square end on the fence to complete the piece.

My question is that I end up either taking the entire mitre table on and off the saw a lot, or taking the mitre table fence on and off the saw a lot, and I'm sure this adds to more setup time and accuracy problems.

Any suggestions for improvement?

Also, my absolute worst thing is cutting large panels of MDF down to size and keeping them level on the table and tight to the fence. Any links to easily built jigs, etc., that can help with this? I've built a lot of projets, but consider my skills still very basic.

Thanks!

Wes Nance
    Rochester, NY
    BT3100 with 2 belts that broke last night. . .
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Wes,

Here is something I posted a while back about squaring up panels:

Another option is to make a cross-cut sled -- plenty of posts here to search for that, too.

Then, decide if either of these is any less fiddly than what you're doing now....

Regards,
    Tom (who's not dead, just resting)

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Tom Miller
      Wes,

Here is something I posted a while back about squaring up panels:

Tom
      Nice pictorial, and right at the beginning is a great tip : " First, you have to clip off the ears of the sliding block so the clamp can ride against the TS fence".

I have been using that technique with only partial success, all because of them those 'ears', and never thought of cutting them off ! Thanks.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Google sawboard and panel cutting table.

I use an EZ Smart system and prefer it to homebuilt, but not everyone needs it (or would prefer it, there are others).

The Basic premise is old tech. It is a sawboard, and use a piece of hardboard, carpet taped to the circular saw (not completely, the guard should freely swing), to stabilize next to the sawboard. Have a good support system (panel cutting table, EZ Smart Table, etc), so the cutoffs don't fall away (and break/splinter/chip, etc the material).

With the sawboard, the piece under it is protected from chipping. The hardboard on the saw, on the other side of the blade, protects the other side of the cut. Keeping the panel flat at all times, on the cutting platform, prevents the material making the cut non 90 degrees from falling away.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Sam Conder
          Woodworker Once More
          • Dec 2002
          • Midway, KY
          • Delta 36-725T2

Even easier than a true crosscut sled, I use a simple "panel cutting sled" like norm uses here...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
          Sam Conder
          BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Wesley Nance
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2003
            • Rochester, NY.

Originally posted by Sam Conder
            Even easier than a true crosscut sled, I use a simple "panel cutting sled" like norm uses here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZFOX9kUKm4
            Sam (and everybody so far) thanks for the input. I really like Norm's sled, nice and simple. Is there a way to use it and still have the accuracy of the table saw fence for how wide the cut is? I don't trust my repeatability measuring with a tape, marking it and putting the mark against the edge of the sled like Norm does. . .

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Wesley Nance
              Is there a way to use it and still have the accuracy of the table saw fence for how wide the cut is?
              Sure, but it doesn't involve the TS fence. Just clamp a stop block to the fence on the sled.

I use a combination of LR's and Sam's method: break down the full sheets to rough size with a circular saw, and then trim to final size using either a panel-cutting sled or the rip fence.
              Larry

Comment

• Wesley Nance
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2003
                • Rochester, NY.

right. . . see, I figured a quick post to you guys would be an instant revelation. I just don't think quickly enough in these areas. Stop bock, of course. . .

Thanks-

Wes

Comment

• ragswl4
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Winchester, Ca
                  • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Wesley Nance
                  Sam (and everybody so far) thanks for the input. I really like Norm's sled, nice and simple. Is there a way to use it and still have the accuracy of the table saw fence for how wide the cut is? I don't trust my repeatability measuring with a tape, marking it and putting the mark against the edge of the sled like Norm does. . .
                  I can think of at least two ways to increase your accuracy without using the fence.

1. If you cut a lot of panels the same size make a story stick the same width as your panels and use that to set up each time.

2. Get some of the measuring tape that hasvadhesive on the back and place it on the rear of the sled and even add a movable stop block. This would be my preferred choice. I have that on a miter gauge and get repeatable cuts every time.

Norm's sled is simple and easy to make if you have a miter slot.
                  RAGS
                  Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                  sigpic

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Sizing large sheets prior to your final cuts could be helpful. First check your sheet for square (measure corner to diagonal corner). Set up an infeed and outfeed table so the sheet is supported. You don't want to be fighting it to keep it tight to the fence. The more times you handle the sheet, the more possibility of an improper cut. You should be able to make your cuts just one time without turning for a parallel cut. Eliminating handling repetition will be less of a hassle.

Comment

• mpc
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Cypress, CA, USA.
                      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

If you make a sled of some sort, you can use flip-style stops to set the various dimensions you need... the stop flips up/back and out of the way for the first cuts that square up oversize panels, then it flips down and becomes a positive, repeatable stop for the final cuts that dimension the panels. These could be permanently attached to your sled if you make lots of similar boxes. There's no law that says you can't have multiple flip-stops on one sled either: one for the length, one for the width of the box parts.

Otherwise, a moveable stop that clamps securely to the sled, yet can flip out of the way when not needed, lets you make a few cuts of repeatable size (since you just flip it up or down as needed - not moving it) within a project. The resulting box will be square... but it might not be exactly the same size as last week's box.

mpc

Comment

• Wood_workur
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • Ohio
                        • Ryobi bt3100-1

I was thinking a sled that is square that runs against your fence would work. put some t track in for hold down clamps, and line an edge up with the fron and the cut will be square.

and yes, constantly re installing the miter fence can cause some error, I've got a slight problem on mine where I have to be careful squaring it because the little tab can go back if I hit it with the fence too hard.
                        Alex

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

I know exactly what you mean. I got tired of all the SMT on and off stuff as well as the limit for panel cuts and a variable lack of accuracy for dead-on angles.

I therefore started with a simple panel sled and then moved on to a cross-cut sled. I finally completed the set with a miter sled. you can see more in the following threads.

If you just started with the panel sled this would help you square up panels really quickly. Starting with the known good factory edge one rip and two trims (at most) with the panel sled and you are done!!

This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".
                          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                          techzibits.com

Comment

• radhak
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Miramar, FL
                            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

...pssst, Jon, this thread is a year old....
                            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                            - Aristotle

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

OMG - I just LMAO. I was searching around for something and this thread came up and all I saw the date was Jan 3rd 2008 and thought thats only last Saturday I must have missed it so replied forgetting that we are now in 2009 - duh

I guess thats better than the usual mistake of writing a check and putting the wrong date on it
                              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                              techzibits.com

Comment

Working...