• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Biesemeyer 52" rails

Will be setting up the Delta Hybrid tablesaw in the new shop before long, decided I really would prefer to have 52" rails for the Biesemeyer fence.
    Of course, can't seem to find them anywhere now.
    Looking at the SawStop 52" front/back rail and tube kit. Seems reasonably priced even with having to drill new mounting holes.

Buying from Grizzly is a bit over twice the cost.

Any other ideas y'all can think of?
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

There's always the Incra TS/LS positioner fence. I love mine, but right now there's a 4-5 month wait to get one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LS52-TS-2T.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	852827
    Chr's

Comment

• Stan
      • Mar 2004
      • Kalispell, MT, USA.
      • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by twistsol
      There's always the Incra TS/LS positioner fence. I love mine, but right now there's a 4-5 month wait to get one.

Name:	LS52-TS-2T.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	852827
      That setup is almost 3 times the cost of the Sawstop rails/tube. I'm not quite ready to give up my Bies fence also.

Comment

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        Not questioning your pricing / research on the rails but I would never thought that anything SawStop would be cheaper than everyone else! When I assembled my SawStop I compared the rails to the Powermatic saw in the shop and noted that they would be an easy exchange, with the SawStop rails being slightly larger and beefier. Have you considered used rails? As I believe I have seen them offered before.
    • Stan
      • Mar 2004
      • Kalispell, MT, USA.
      • BT3100, Delta 36-717

capncarl: Used rails (as long as in decent shape) would definitely work. But about 2 weeks worth of searching and I haven't seen any used sets show up for purchase.
      My last option will be to call a local metal warehouse later this week to price raw metal to see if going that route would be any cheaper after powder-coating.

Comment

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably not, these rails may be just a piece of rectangular stock with a piece welded on, but the set up and welding, and cleaning/prep for paint is quite a bit of trouble. The 52” rail with fence is going for $585 now. The rail is the cheap part, the fence is quite a hefty tool.

• atgcpaul
        atgcpaul commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked into getting shorter rails for my Grizzly and priced it against a DIY option. It was not cheaper to DIY and especially not after all the labor to make it work.
    • Stan
      • Mar 2004
      • Kalispell, MT, USA.
      • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Not sure what welding you are referring to, there is none on the rails or tube that I am aware of, and the place that does powdercoating will do all the cleaning/prep as part of their process. (Sand-blasting makes short work of that task).
      I already have the fence, so that's not an issue in my case.

Comment

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        If I’m not mistaken the rectangular tube is welded to an angle of the same length. It’s what bolts to the table. There are several cut outs in the angle stock for T slots, no big deal but not to be forgotten. There is also an angle attached on the rear of the table and is necessary when going with a wider system.
    • Stan
      • Mar 2004
      • Kalispell, MT, USA.
      • BT3100, Delta 36-717

The tube that the fence rides on and locks down to is not welded to the angle that is attached to the saw front.
      The rail tube is attached to the angle iron using screws through the angle iron and into the bottom of the rail tube. Click image for larger version  Name:	T-Glide assembly.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.0 KB ID:	852871
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Stan; 11-09-2022, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        I added a correction stating that the rail was bolted on……2 times, seems that my iPhone has a mind of its own.
    • capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Correction, the rectangular tube is bolted to the angle.

Comment

• Stan
        • Mar 2004
        • Kalispell, MT, USA.
        • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Fence tube, front and back angle iron, 12" left tape and 52" right tape ordered. I am convinced this setup will work great, only possible issues will be having to drill a few holes to mount the angle iron pieces to the front and back of the TS.

As soon as those are attached I will be building a new right side extension table. That along with my regular left side extension table will make breaking down 4x8 sheet goods an easy task.

Comment

• capncarl
          capncarl commented
          Editing a comment
          Drilling the holes is no problem if you use tap magic for a cutting oil and a good drill bit. I think your purchase is the most economic option. I wasn’t too happy with the measuring tape on my SawStop, I wanted all the little numbers all the way down. I replaced it with

• capncarl
          capncarl commented
          Editing a comment
          Drilling the holes is no problem if you use tap magic for a cutting oil and a good drill bit. I think your purchase is the most economic option. I wasn’t too happy with the measuring tape on my SawStop, I wanted all the little numbers all the way down. I replaced it with
      • capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

There are a lot of tapes available, most of which I didn’t like either. I’m not into metric, I can use it but have been using imperial all my life and it is too late to change.

Name:	image.png
Views:	240
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	852898

Comment

• Stan
          • Mar 2004
          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Tapes arrived yesterday, FedEx driver jokingly made a comment about the 'heavy' box. I laughed and said, just wait until tomorrow.
          He shows up today, struggling in the back of the van and finally comes out with the tube and rails in one long box.
          That will teach him to make comments about the 'heavy' boxes.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            atgcpaul commented
            Editing a comment
            You got the SawStop rails?
        • Stan
          • Mar 2004
          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

atgcpaul: Yes, the rails/tube showed up yesterday. Left and right side tapes came the day before.
          I was rather surprised that SawStop had such a good price on the stuff.

I can see where I am going to have to extend the mobile base on the TS to support all the weight hanging off to the right side of the saw when the longer rails/tube are installed. Hope to get to that in a couple weeks.

Comment

• capncarl
            capncarl commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you filling in the rails with cast iron tops or maybe the cast iron router table?

• Stan
            Stan commented
            Editing a comment
            No, I learned a long time ago that routers built into the wings and/or outfeed is not conducive to my workflow.
        Working...