X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...2&tool=35990CS , http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...2&tool=35990CG , http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...12&tool=35990G , http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...12&tool=35990C , The one I linked has steel stamped wings with a cast steel top, very similiar to the R4512 only cab-mounted trunnions,and no CI top, the deal breaker IMHO Plus reports of the 4512 not holding accuracy well on higher cuts as the trunnion is table-mounted and tweaks out a bit on higher cuts. With regards to the CS steel tabletop as long as its flat thats all that really matters and the lighter weight makes it easier to roll around. Buy what ever tool you need but the SC is IMHO the far better saw as it has the trunnions mounted to the cabinet vs the top and its easy to get parts for as they make 4 different models. If its weight your worried about get the granite top, my 4511 weighs a ton as I'm sure Knotscott would agree too, but either way you might consider all of the above mentioned saws and simply go to CL and purchase a used older saw in good shape for a song and make due . Also heres an interesting comparison of CI vs CS , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0V63uyBsl4
    Last edited by tommyt654; 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• conwaygolfer
      Established Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Conway, SC.
      • BT3000

Originally posted by tommyt654
      The 4512's an OK saw by non cabinet mounted trunnions standards. Personally this saw , http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1 , is categorically above the rest in that price category and range considering its easy to grab a 10% of coupon off the net and if you have the Lowes Credit card as well you can garner and additional 5% on top of the 10% of when ordering off the net. While it does have stamped steel wings (not a personal favorite) It is highly rated and has trunnion mounts on the cabinet vs the top for far superior cuts vs the Ridgid and a 5 yr waranty. Personally I think the warranty or LLSA is no more than a gimmick as any tool I have that last more than 3 yrs I keep on buyin and ones that fail before that goes into a junk tool pile. Sadly just 2 yrs ago you could have bought this for about $700 the equivalent to the Ridgid R4511, 1 of my current tablesaws now up to over $800 , http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1. One other way to ensure the lowest cost on the SC Stamped steel tablesaw is to get HD,http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...&storeId=10051 to p/m the Lowes price and then you'll automatically get the additional 10% off and free shippin to your home as HD offers free shipping with their deal.This puts you with a cabinet mounted trunnion saw for less than $600 shipped to your door, pretty hard to beat
      For those that think the lifetime warranty on Ridgid tools is a gimmick - I just got 2 new free batteries for my 18 volt Ridgid drill. I bought the drill on sale for half price from HD about 18 months ago. Lithium Ion batteries.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• Sawatzky
        Established Member
        • Apr 2005
        • CA
        • Ridgid TS3650

Used contractor saws pop up on Craigslist often. You might want to keep an eye out for a used Ridgid TS3650. It was discontinued a few years ago, but was one of the top contractor saws. I have had mine for over 4 years and it is a great saw. You can usually find decent contractor saws for 250-300 dollars.

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
          For those that think the lifetime warranty on Ridgid tools is a gimmick - I just got 2 new free batteries for my 18 volt Ridgid drill. I bought the drill on sale for half price from HD about 18 months ago. Lithium Ion batteries.

Conwaygolfer
          So now your hooked on Ridgid products because you got some free batterys,I too have a Ridgid product my R-4511 is a great tablesaw for what I paid(under $300) as well as the oscillating sander (used) and both have served me well, but its still a marketing gimmick to get folks to buy there tools. Wait till your drill malfunctions and get back to me then free batterys aside and see how you feel. Your referencing a $40-50 purchase vs a $500 purchase being discussed. Major difference and while some here have had some success getting parts and work done on their Ridgid tools for the most part what I have read (Ridgid forum) about many are dismayed with serviceability of the LLSA. For the most part from what I have garnered over the yrs is that its mainly plumbers that have a great track record of getting their tools replaced vs those in the woodworking community trying to get service on their tools. I for 1 can ill-afford waiting for weeks for a battery or parts to arrive when I can simply go purchase another. It is a great marketing tool tho I have to admit. I prefer to purchase tools with a better track record tho.Also for the record when I shop at my local HD, I always check the section with returned tools for deals and have found that for the most part its always full of returned Ridgid and Ryobi products, that speaks volumnes to me

Tommyt with 2 of everytool

Comment

• dusty
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2012
            • AZ
            • Shopsmith Mark V Model 520 and a Mark V Model 510 with a BT3K Rail Kit, SMT, and Router Table

I think "best value" is like "beauty". It is in the eyes of the beholder.

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

...but its still a marketing gimmick to get folks to buy there tools.

...Also for the record when I shop at my local HD, I always check the section with returned tools for deals and have found that for the most part its always full of returned Ridgid and Ryobi products, that speaks volumnes to me
              It's very likely that HD sells many more Ridgid and Ryobi tools than any other brands, which could go a long way toward explaining why you see them in the returned tool bin.

I have no doubt that the LSA is there to attract business, but it makes for a good tie breaker vs no LSA. Sure beats a stick in the eye IMO!
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• jeepman71
                Established Member
                • Nov 2008

I have the 4512. I know it is at the bottom of the saw ladder but for the 400 plus change after the HF coupon and doing a bunch of cuts on it I would do it again and again and again. The one upgrade I have thought about is the T-2 Delta fence. If money were no object then I would have a huge shop where space is no object and a cabenet saw.

Comment

• tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008

' HD sells many more Ridgid and Ryobi tools "

Perhaps, I would venture to say thats not completely true as I see an awful lot of DeWalt,Milwaulkee,Bosch, and Makita tools being sold vs the aforementioned 2, Those I rarely see if ever in the returned tools bin.

"good tie breaker vs no LSA"

The warrantys only as good as the service provided,which to my knowledge as stated other than plumbers has been less than stellar in almost all case's with the possible exception of getting something for nothing like free batterys.

Gimmick or not the sole reasoning for purchasing a tool is quality and performance something that some of the Ridgid tools do well, not most,but I would not base my purchase on the LSA as I stated its the last reason I would be likely to purchase the tools in question based on the warranty info claims I have seen on the net as well as the number of returned tools I see at HD. I know some here have visited the Ridgidforum.com and theres always a discussion about the warranty over there and a lot of dissatisfied and satisfied customers, rarely are they woodworkers as the latter. But we are mainly discussing the tablesaw and frankly the cabinet mounted trunnions are the deal breaker IMHO

Comment

• messmaker
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2004
                    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                    • Ridgid 2424

I know Sears is taking some lumps right now but I traded My Ridgid saw for a Craftsman zipcode saw and have loved it. I think they sell for about $550, but you can usually get 10% off without much problem.
                    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• woodturner
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Western Pennsylvania
                      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Perhaps, I would venture to say thats not completely true as I see an awful lot of DeWalt,Milwaulkee,Bosch, and Makita tools being sold vs the aforementioned 2, Those I rarely see if ever in the returned tools bin.
                      Yes, returns of those brands are processed differently so they don't show up in the returns bin.

FWIW, in fairly heavy pro usage, I have broken or worn out DeWalt, Makita, and Skil most frequently, but have yet to wear out or break a Bosch, Ryobi, or Ridgid tool. Granted, that's anecdotal experience and not statistically significant, but neither is your "snapshop" of the returns bin.

Gimmick or not the sole reasoning for purchasing a tool is quality and performance something that some of the Ridgid tools do well, not most,but I would not base my purchase on the LSA
                      If you read the teardown reports in the trade journals, you will see that Ridgid uses higher quality components than homeowner brands like DeWalt/B&D and many pro brands such as Makita. They have to build better tools to make the lifetime warranty work economically. Like you, I have heard only stellar reports about service under the LSA, it seems to be a great program with few if any complaints.
                      --------------------------------------------------
                      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

If and when I ever loose my BT3100, I'd probably look to the Ridgid 4512 or whatever the version might be at the time.

I've seriously examined the 4512 and find it to be a very significant piece of machinery. Above anything that I've seen at Lowes. Only thing I don't like about the Ridgid 4512 is the stamped steel wings, and I understand from that forum, that a couple of members have found cast iron wing replacements.

Regarding the side-discussion of Ridgid's (actually TTI) of the LLSA. There is a big difference between the "plumbing" tools "lifetime" replacement policy and the Ridgid-branded (TTI is the producer and license holder) woodworking tools. With Ridgid plumbing tools, they are manufactured and backed by Emerson's Ridge Tool Division and the process is significantly different.

With TTI's LLSA program for thier "Ridgid" branded tools, you will find a lot of complaints... mostly by those who haven't registered, IMHO. Speaking for myself, I have only had to use the LLSA for two tools (a finishing sander, and a wobbling chuck on cordless drill). Both were taken care of quickly and returned to my door in a reasonable time. Much is of course dependant on the Service Center you send the tool to, as they are independantly owned.

The point is that they are of course, an encentive to buy the tools. No different than any warranty would be or other service program. You spend your hard-earned money to buy something, you certainly want to know what the return policy or long range service might be; and, for many of us that is every bit as important as the product's performance.

For myself, I find Ridgid-brand tools to be pretty nice, and the LLSA gives me some security, if and when I may need it. On the other hand, while I grew up with Craftsman-brand tools, the 1-year warranty on thier power tools is woefully behind the times and not at all competitive. Comparing the Ridgid 4512, to the Craftsman look-a-like model, I see the same features, but the Craftsman unit is higher priced, and has only a 1-year warranty. Both are nice saws in that price range.

CWS
                        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• tommyt654
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2008

"Yes, returns of those brands are processed differently so they don't show up in the returns bin ", evidence? My HD says all returns are done in the same manner,when a distribution rep from the tool company shows up they inspect and issue credit to the store and either mark it as damaged but reparable where upon it is sent in to be repaired or damaged beyond repair and sent in to become an remanufactured item. Thats policy for all HD stores,So how are things handled differently and why are we rehashing a thread thats dead IMO. everyone has different opinions,hopefully the op got what he needed if not he's had plenty of time to let us know.

"Like you, I have heard only stellar reports about service under the LSA, it seems to be a great program with few if any complaints. " I have heard a variety of complaints (NONE STELLAR) regarding power tools only very little in the way of Plumbers tools the only thing they still make in the USA
                          Last edited by tommyt654; 04-01-2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

Ok! (Sorry Tommy, I didn't realize this was a timed event. )
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

I haven't bought many Rigid tools but one I purchased was not a good deal. I wanted a small "finishing" sander. I wanted a square base for fitting into corners. HD had a Rigid one at a very low price so I decided to give it a try. It never worked well and soon didn't work. I took it back to be repaired twice and gave up.

I would buy Rigid again but I don't think they are credibly better than DeWalt or Makita. I think they are maybe a little better than Ryobi. And there is significant range in the tools within any brand. The warranty means more on battery powered equipment that will need batteries in a few years regardless of how well made they are. Tools with cords shouldn't need any maintenance. I've had to replace brushes a few times but usually my corded tools just keep working, regardless of brand. I've also replaced the power switch on a couple PC corded tools but that was after a lot of use.

Jim

Comment

• messmaker
                                Veteran Member
                                • May 2004
                                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                                • Ridgid 2424

Originally posted by messmaker
                                I know Sears is taking some lumps right now but I traded My Ridgid saw for a Craftsman zipcode saw and have loved it. I think they sell for about $550, but you can usually get 10% off without much problem.
                                I did the same thing. Very happy with the Craftsman, but the Ridgid was a fine saw and never gave me a minutes trouble.
                                spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...