This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeepman71
    replied
    I have the 4512. I know it is at the bottom of the saw ladder but for the 400 plus change after the HF coupon and doing a bunch of cuts on it I would do it again and again and again. The one upgrade I have thought about is the T-2 Delta fence. If money were no object then I would have a huge shop where space is no object and a cabenet saw.

Leave a comment:

• Knottscott
    replied
    Originally posted by tommyt654

...but its still a marketing gimmick to get folks to buy there tools.

...Also for the record when I shop at my local HD, I always check the section with returned tools for deals and have found that for the most part its always full of returned Ridgid and Ryobi products, that speaks volumnes to me
    It's very likely that HD sells many more Ridgid and Ryobi tools than any other brands, which could go a long way toward explaining why you see them in the returned tool bin.

I have no doubt that the LSA is there to attract business, but it makes for a good tie breaker vs no LSA. Sure beats a stick in the eye IMO!

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied
    I think "best value" is like "beauty". It is in the eyes of the beholder.

Leave a comment:

• tommyt654
    replied
    Originally posted by conwaygolfer
    For those that think the lifetime warranty on Ridgid tools is a gimmick - I just got 2 new free batteries for my 18 volt Ridgid drill. I bought the drill on sale for half price from HD about 18 months ago. Lithium Ion batteries.

Conwaygolfer
    So now your hooked on Ridgid products because you got some free batterys,I too have a Ridgid product my R-4511 is a great tablesaw for what I paid(under $300) as well as the oscillating sander (used) and both have served me well, but its still a marketing gimmick to get folks to buy there tools. Wait till your drill malfunctions and get back to me then free batterys aside and see how you feel. Your referencing a $40-50 purchase vs a $500 purchase being discussed. Major difference and while some here have had some success getting parts and work done on their Ridgid tools for the most part what I have read (Ridgid forum) about many are dismayed with serviceability of the LLSA. For the most part from what I have garnered over the yrs is that its mainly plumbers that have a great track record of getting their tools replaced vs those in the woodworking community trying to get service on their tools. I for 1 can ill-afford waiting for weeks for a battery or parts to arrive when I can simply go purchase another. It is a great marketing tool tho I have to admit. I prefer to purchase tools with a better track record tho.Also for the record when I shop at my local HD, I always check the section with returned tools for deals and have found that for the most part its always full of returned Ridgid and Ryobi products, that speaks volumnes to me

Tommyt with 2 of everytool

Leave a comment:

• Sawatzky
    replied
    Used contractor saws pop up on Craigslist often. You might want to keep an eye out for a used Ridgid TS3650. It was discontinued a few years ago, but was one of the top contractor saws. I have had mine for over 4 years and it is a great saw. You can usually find decent contractor saws for 250-300 dollars.

Leave a comment:

• conwaygolfer
    replied
    Originally posted by tommyt654
    The 4512's an OK saw by non cabinet mounted trunnions standards. Personally this saw , http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1 , is categorically above the rest in that price category and range considering its easy to grab a 10% of coupon off the net and if you have the Lowes Credit card as well you can garner and additional 5% on top of the 10% of when ordering off the net. While it does have stamped steel wings (not a personal favorite) It is highly rated and has trunnion mounts on the cabinet vs the top for far superior cuts vs the Ridgid and a 5 yr waranty. Personally I think the warranty or LLSA is no more than a gimmick as any tool I have that last more than 3 yrs I keep on buyin and ones that fail before that goes into a junk tool pile. Sadly just 2 yrs ago you could have bought this for about $700 the equivalent to the Ridgid R4511, 1 of my current tablesaws now up to over $800 , http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1. One other way to ensure the lowest cost on the SC Stamped steel tablesaw is to get HD,http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...&storeId=10051 to p/m the Lowes price and then you'll automatically get the additional 10% off and free shippin to your home as HD offers free shipping with their deal.This puts you with a cabinet mounted trunnion saw for less than $600 shipped to your door, pretty hard to beat
    For those that think the lifetime warranty on Ridgid tools is a gimmick - I just got 2 new free batteries for my 18 volt Ridgid drill. I bought the drill on sale for half price from HD about 18 months ago. Lithium Ion batteries.

Conwaygolfer

Leave a comment:

• tommyt654
    replied
    http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...2&tool=35990CS , http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...2&tool=35990CG , http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...12&tool=35990G , http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...12&tool=35990C , The one I linked has steel stamped wings with a cast steel top, very similiar to the R4512 only cab-mounted trunnions,and no CI top, the deal breaker IMHO Plus reports of the 4512 not holding accuracy well on higher cuts as the trunnion is table-mounted and tweaks out a bit on higher cuts. With regards to the CS steel tabletop as long as its flat thats all that really matters and the lighter weight makes it easier to roll around. Buy what ever tool you need but the SC is IMHO the far better saw as it has the trunnions mounted to the cabinet vs the top and its easy to get parts for as they make 4 different models. If its weight your worried about get the granite top, my 4511 weighs a ton as I'm sure Knotscott would agree too, but either way you might consider all of the above mentioned saws and simply go to CL and purchase a used older saw in good shape for a song and make due . Also heres an interesting comparison of CI vs CS , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0V63uyBsl4
    Last edited by tommyt654; 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tommyt654
    replied
    Originally posted by ivwshane
    The link doesn't work for me, what lowes saw were you recommending?
    Go to the Lowes website and type in Steel City in the search feature, same for Home Depot

Leave a comment:

• Knottscott
    replied
    Steel City makes a few versions of the 35990...steel top and steel wings 35990SS, cast iron top and steel wings35990CS, cast iron top and cast iron wings 35990C, and possibly a granite top version 35990G. The trunnions are cabinet mounted cast iron on all of them. I think I'd prefer a cast iron top, but without seeing it, I'd guess steel wouldn't be an issue.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Originally posted by toolguy1000
    i think i'd have to think long and hard about the linked steel city 35990SS. unless i'm mistaken, that has saw cast steel wings AND a cast steel table top. no CI components. and in looking over the 35990's owners manual, it's the lightweight of the 4 saws that carry the 35990 designation.
    I thought that one was the cast iron contractor saw. Did I catch a different link?

Leave a comment:

• toolguy1000
    replied
    Originally posted by dbhost
    If you can put enough coin together, the top 2 Budget saws are the Steel City that was linked above, the Ridgid R4512, and the Grizzly G0715P.
    i think i'd have to think long and hard about the linked steel city 35990SS. unless i'm mistaken, that has saw cast steel wings AND a cast steel table top. no CI components. and in looking over the 35990's owners manual, it's the lightweight of the 4 saws that carry the 35990 designation.

Leave a comment:

• Stytooner
    replied
    Originally posted by durango dude
    Lowe's carries a fairly decent Porter Cable (contractor) saw that I've looked at really closely a few times. Last time I looked, it was $499 --- but it often comes on sale.
    I have this saw and I would pass on it if I had a choice.
    The saw itself is quite nice. Great fence and rail system. Switch is okay. The mobile base on the unit works great. Dust collection with a blade shroud like the BT is very nice.
    Blade tilt mech works similar to the BT with a locking lever.
    Haven't had any issues with the gearing, but I think I am used the the lever lock like on a BT. Others may not be using that thing correctly.
    The sad part about it is the riving knife and blade guard.
    PC missed a chance to do something nice here.
    Installing and removing the knife is a pain. Blade guard is difficult to install as are the anti-kickback pawls.
    Unless you just want to add a Shark Guard to it that solves those issues, I would go for something else. Thanks for the business PC.
    Last edited by Stytooner; 11-20-2012, 07:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Knottscott
    replied
    If you want another BT, grab the Sears version. If you want a cast iron saw with a belt drive induction motor, I'd lean toward the R4512, or possibly the Steel City 35990. I've read reports of HD accepting an HF 20% coupon....

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    If you can put enough coin together, the top 2 Budget saws are the Steel City that was linked above, the Ridgid R4512, and the Grizzly G0715P.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Originally posted by durango dude
    Lowe's carries a fairly decent Porter Cable (contractor) saw that I've looked at really closely a few times. Last time I looked, it was $499 --- but it often comes on sale.
    Double check the reviews on that one. That PC contractor saw is supposedly mostly plastic inside, with some known gear (elevation) breakage problems. NOT a tool worthy of the Porter Cable name as I understand it.

Leave a comment:

Working...