• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Dick

That is a good Doctor. Look into ways that will make it easier and safer for you.

Tom

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Originally posted by Whaler
      Today my doctor told me to keep the shop as it was a good incentive to look forward to.
      He said "Don't give up"
      The doc is a smart man!!
      Listen to him!!
      Stay on line!!
      Keep woodworking (if you can)!!

I hate to be morbid, but...
      Too many times I hear of someone retiring with nothing to do, no hobbies, no interests, etc., you hear of their death shortly later.

The ones that have something to look forward too, have something to do, they seem to live forever!!
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

Well, I'd probably fight to try and keep doing the work if it's enjoyed. As posted there are ways around the situation. Whatever you decide, stick around here, we'd miss you.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• gmack5
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

I did a "Little" research, Dick

Dick, I've done a little research on seating and found a chair that might work for you, at least it's a start.

Check the link below and let me know what you think.

If it won't do the job for you, then tell me what I can do to make it better or more useful for you and we'll go from there.
          Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
          Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
          George

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • SoCal, USA
            • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

I think you should give it a go, for you mental health, but you have to adjust for your safety . "Ken C", at woodnet forum is in a wheelchair and settting up shop. Maybe he could give some help. He has many posts as of late. I am a Dentist, and there are assistant chairs with front and back supports that have taller heights , foot rests all adjustable that may help you. If you want some sources I can ask my supplier. PM me if you like.
            God bless, and take care.
            Andrew

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by Whaler
              Today my doctor told me to keep the shop as it was a good incentive to look forward to.
              He said "Don't give up"
              I think he wants another pen.
              Listen to the man! And that would be a very special pen!

Comment

• messmaker
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                • Ridgid 2424

You may not be able to keep the shop as it is now but that may send you in a different direction. Cross off the tools that might cause you harm if you fell and see what you got left. That might point you the right path.I think most hobbies evolve. Good luck.
                spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

Dick, I am really sorry to hear this. i cant imagine how difficult it must be to give up somthing that actually fills in your spare/worthwhile time. this is a significant change. reading all of the other posts, i am sure that there must be a way around this. i think, instead of giving up the shop, i am confident that you will find other options thru the links that others have sincerely provided. the solution maybe as simple as a stool, but who knows until you research it. i wish you the best of luck.

keep us posted on how it is going, the least we can do is try to be encouraging.

Comment

• Rob R
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • West, Michigan.

Whaler,

it was quite sad to see your original post, after reading the entire thread, i see a glimmer of hope. don't lose that, we are all pulling for you.

wishing you God's best,
                    rob

Comment

• Scottydont
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Edmonds, WA, USA.
                      • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Hi neighbor. I have not been around much do to work and family but I was shocked to see your post. I know you have been through a lot this last year. I wish you all of the best getting your health in order. Please let me know if their is anything I can do to help. I hope that you are able to keep your shop. I know that you love to make sawdust.

If you do have to sell it, I endorse Dick 100%. He is a stand up guy and takes care of his tools.

Best wishes my friend!
                      Scott
                      "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• jseklund
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2006

Whaler,
                        Your doctor is a smart man. My dad has bad knees and I have always been into low-level medicine/health/psychology, etc. (I do a lot of reading on anything I can learn) I remember reading about 2-3 books on knee surgery/health. What was interesting was that most of the doctors writing the books noticed something along the lines of athletes tend to recover more fully than your average person. One of these doctors was very perceptive and noticed the REASON for this. People tend to recover on a level equal to their dedication to recover. If you are an athlete and you need a knee to perform optimally- you become dedicated and you get there (and FAST!). The average person only needs standard mobility, and is willing to compromise a bit more- so they do the work equal to getting their. Some people give up and never really recover.

I also know that if you want to become dedicated to something, then it had better be attractive in your mind. You push harder towards a future that compels you and pulls you than anything else.

Keep hope and go get what you want, whatever it is.
                        F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

Working...