• LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Water sprinkler valve.

One of my stations sprung a leak.
    I had some spare parts so I fixed it.
    I have several of those valves and they go bad after time. The Diaphragm leaked and the solenoid was looking real bad so I replaced it, too.

I was going to replace the parts so I have them on hand (so its not an emergency procurement effort next time) and I secretly think there is a Murphy corellary to the effect if you have spare parts they are much less likely to break. Also they are getting older and you never know when they will be discontinued.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	25.1 KB ID:	855674
    So a replacement diaphragm is $15 and a replacement solenoid is $20.
    The whole assembly above (which is where I got the spares from is $28. even though the body and the antisiphon part ​never seem to break.
    Better yet, the same assembly with the difference of having 3/4" fittings instead of 1" fittings is only $23. And the diaphragm and solenoid are identical.

The cap with the solenoid, diaphragm and retaining ring and other parts comes off much easier than replacing the whole body. So I just replace those parts and toss the spare body.

So I ordered 2 spares of the cheaper model getting $70 worth of parts that go bad for only $46.

I also see that the cap by itself is $17 as a replacement item so I get that for the $23 also although I think the old one will work.

Anyway, what a little clever shopping will do.

Parts are Lawn Genie, now part of Toro.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-31-2023, 03:18 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Are your valves above ground on a manifold? When my sprinkler system was installed some 16 years ago the installer argued that installing the valve underground in the lawn made the valves/solenoids last longer. I had a hard time believing him, I absolutely hated the thought of having to work on a solenoid/valve in a cramped plastic box underground. So far I have not had any valve/solenoid problems at all. I’m glad the installer was right about underground valves because he really messed up with the sprinkler head placements.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
      Are your valves above ground on a manifold? When my sprinkler system was installed some 16 years ago the installer argued that installing the valve underground in the lawn made the valves/solenoids last longer. I had a hard time believing him, I absolutely hated the thought of having to work on a solenoid/valve in a cramped plastic box underground. So far I have not had any valve/solenoid problems at all. I’m glad the installer was right about underground valves because he really messed up with the sprinkler head placements.
      Mine are above ground.
      Going to have to work on another one... lawn guy cut the wires to the solenoid. Won't be easy wires too short and need to be protected.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Could high summer temperatures and cold winters be causing your failures, whereas mine are underground and somewhat more protected from drastic temperatures. Maybe a better insulated valve and manifold box is the answer?

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
          Could high summer temperatures and cold winters be causing your failures, whereas mine are underground and somewhat more protected from drastic temperatures. Maybe a better insulated valve and manifold box is the answer?
          Maybe its the fact that parts of it are >25 years old? I replaced the home builders manually operated valves with a timer and some electric controlled valves and wiring. a couple of years after we moved in. Some of the sprinkler plumbing is 31 years old.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

You are right, probably well beyond its expected useful life.

Comment

Working...