• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Shed Build

I was instructed by LOML to build a shed for her gardening stuff. We negotiated and decided on 8x12 so we can store the snowblower and lawnmower in it in the off seasons.

Progress Saturday morning my son on law and I got the base set, leveled and anchored.

Set squared and anchored.

Shed foundation set

Shed Anchors
    Shed Anchors

Ready to build,
    Shed foundation ready for the shed.
    Waiting on the materials delivery, we then helped the neighbor dig up sod for a play set load it into the truck and take it to the disposal site. Materials didn't show up until 3:30 so we all went to the fair in our home town and ate deep fried crap and hung out with relatives.

Everything to this point was nailed by hand since I didn't have any galvanized framing nails for the nailer and didn't want to spend $100+ for a case when I only needed 1 or two coils.

I'm in the red shirt, cousin Eddie up from Iowa, and my son in law in the background

Hand nailing the shed floor

Here is where we ended up sunday night.

shed build day 1

I'll get it finished up this week and turn it over to my wife for painting.
    Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002

It was too hot to do much work on the shed on Monday and I was forbidden from working on it on the 4th. The shed was ready for paint and shingles by Thursday evening, so we got it mostly painted on Friday, shingled on Saturday morning and then I finished up the windows and doors Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. Touched up the paint and snapped a photo and you can still see a couple of spots where the paint is wet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3170.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	855464

And now the shed is finished ... as a shed. Next step is to put windows on either side of the door which will open to little free libraries.

Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      Libraries???
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Are your doors snow tite?

Comment

• twistsol
      twistsol commented
      Editing a comment
      There is weather stripping between the doors but it uses brushes on the the sides and bottoms of the doors. Should be mostly weather tight, but I'm sure a little snow will get in. It is positioned so the weather will come predominantly from the back/left side and will rarely hit the front straight on.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002

I finished up the shed a couple of weeks ago by adding in the little library windows. It ha had a lot of activity and we've met a number of neighbors because of it.

Here are the bookshelves themselves under construction. The gaps at the top and bottom in the back are intentional for ventilation.

Little Library Bookshelves in the shop glued and clamped. 1

Library doors are cedar assmbled with dominos. I applied the same OSB siding to the front of them and then glazed in plexiglass windows.

Finally her​e is the finished product

Little Library Shed

Loaded with books.
    Little Library windows in shed

Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

That is some awfully nice work there on that shed... I have heard of those little library things, but never seen one in person... Pretty cool.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Black walnut
        Administrator
        • Aug 2015
        • BT3K

Those little libraries are quite common around here. One of my Mom's neighbors has one as well in Spokane. I've not seen one built into a shed though. Great idea.

Nice looking shed too. Interesting to see OSB used as an architectural element, nice use of a non-traditional material.
        just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          Just FWIW, My shed that I had built last spring uses T1-11 OSB siding. It is pretty common around here. There was a GOOD reason I was in a hurry to get paint on that thing. The ramp deck was made of the same material, It's fine for siding, not so great for a shed ramp... I will lay down some marine grade 3/4 ply with a generous amount of paint as a replacement soon...

• capncarl
          capncarl commented
          Editing a comment
          We had started our house build when hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. Overnight there was no plywood, Sheetrock or roofing shingles available. For some reason there was not a shortage of OSB. The house and my shop was sheathed in 10’ and 12’ x 4’ OSB. I didn’t like it but we were too far along to wait who knows how long for plywood. I insisted that every stud, sill and any piece of wood the OSB was nailed to have a generous continuous bead of Liquid Nails. The carpenters ( the ones that hadn’t already left to work in New Orleans ) complained but used a pickup truck full of Liquid Nails. I finished the inside of my shop with 10’ panels of OSB. It really finishes out nicely for a shop. I also used Liquid Nails on every board the OSB attach to. It should stiffen up a structure.
      • danielsk
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2024

Looks really good! Can you please share what kind of instruments are you currently using?
        I found some great northern tools and have no idea what to buy first, as at the moment i don't have any instruments.
        We moved to another country, so i didn't take much with.
        Last edited by danielsk; 03-23-2024, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...