• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Material Handling for the old and out of shape

I can certainly lift and carry a 105 pound 12 foot sheet of drywall. Can I carry it around the house to the basement and lift it onto a drywall lift and then repeat 28 times and still walk the next morning? No. With a little planning I got the ceiling nearly done with very little lifting of drywall

Step 1 Slide a single sheet of drywall off the stack

Sliding Drywall off the top of the stack

Step 2 Lower it slowly to the cart using friction as a helper and then stand it up on the cart.
    Lower drywall to the cart

Step Three, roll it to the basement on the bicycle trail that goes behind the house. Don't mind me, just taking the drywall on a walk in the snow. We bought this lot in part because of the paved trail to the back yard.
    Walking the drywall

Step 4 Roll it into the basement on the ramp built from a pallet, piles of excess mulch, and three of the six sheets of cabinet grade plywood that the movers ruined when they used them to roll dollies through the mud when we moved in. They neatly stacked the OSB in the basement
    Shoddy ramp construction

Step 5 Tilt the drywall off the cart and onto my workbench
    Some lifting required.

Step 6 After positioning the drywall lift and setting the brake, stand the drywall up on its edge on the bench.
    Stand it up

Step 7 Finally I just need to lift each end a few inches to put the edge onto the hooks on the drywall lift.Put it on the lift.

Then repeat for two days straight.

Chr's
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Those lifts are most certainly worth their money! They allow old men to do what previously was reserved for young men and middle aged idiots. And 12 feet at that!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Well done! Part of every project I do involves figuring how to move things by myself. Didn’t used to be as daunting until I hit 70 something. Moving the dozen or so sheets of drywall from the top of the car in the drive down to the basement by myself to build my workshop pales in comparison to your task. I applaud your ingenuity and resolve to do the drywalling there.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I've got to admit that I was quite impressed. I was going to comment yesterday about your post, but frankly after looking through your pictures, I needed to sit somewhere and rest!

What a task, but you handled it exceedingly well I thought. One of the complaints I have expressed with my Doctor, is how tired I get anymore. (His answer was sort of a bewildered look and a statement about my age!) I used to pride myself on being independent and have spent my many years just facing the fact that if I want something done, it's best if I do it by myself. But that isn't the case anymore, stuff is just exhausting, though I tend to do it anyway, much to the consternation of my wife, and her scolding doesn't help the task any.

About five years ago, I was in the hospital for thirteen days, recovering from colon surgery. I was lucky because it was discovered very early, but since that time, it just seems that I am just tired all the time. Now at 76, I've got bad knees, my back is a pain and I'm feeling rather challenged in the fact that it's difficult to do the stuff that I had no problem with at 70. This past summer I brought my tools up from the basement and moved them to my work shed. Cast iron radial arm saw, 33-gal compressor, floor-standing drill press, etc. Boy they sure went down there easy enough fifteen years ago, but bringing them back up and putting them in the shed was really tiring. Still what is one supposed to do, my son and grandsons live in Iowa now and I certainly can't call the Doctor who lives next door to give me a hand, I'd be worried he'd hurt himself.

Looking at the size of your drywall, I'm not so sure that I could do that, I'm sure I'd need to jury-rig something to lift those onto and off of the cart, much less move them into position to actually install. Like I said, what you did was impressive, NICE JOB!

CWS
        Last edited by cwsmith; 10-28-2020, 07:44 PM. Reason: Typo's
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Most impressive for one guy of any age, let alone geezer class.

from one geezer to another,
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...