• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Finger Jointed Studs Redeux...

The builder that built our home was on the street today with clients, so I had a chance to ask him about finger jointed studs. I’ve not seen him use them in any of the homes he built around here, but he’s been building homes for over 25 years. He said the technology has been around for 30 years and is proven in certain applications. They are only code in compression applications and if bonded on both sides by OSB or drywall. They cannot be used where the load is tangential to the joins. The builder only uses them where 9’ or longer studs are required. It seems the current quality of traditional studs makes anything longer than 8’ unusable in wall construction. He said they twist and bow too badly to have a lumberyard pull them from a pile. This is due to the forced rapid growth and processing that lumber companies are using to meet increased building demands. He said he spent several days correcting a frame up using standard 9’ studs last month. Looks like the technology is here to stay.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

A long time ago, a project we were installing a large project and had large warehouse space rented for equipment to be installed. This warehouse had a gazillion extra empty unrented square feet storage. I walked in one day and this gazillion sf. warehouse was full from floor to ceiling with pallets of Brazilian pine 2x4 pieces, for a local company that mfg’s molding out of sawdust, air and wood colored vinyl tape for house trailers. I finangled a plant tour to see what they were going to use the short 2x4 sticks for, and was greatly impressed! They cut each short stick in half, ran it through a finger cutter, put a little glob of glue on it and jammed it onto a mating finger jointed stick with joints on the other end that is having another finger joint being jammed on it.... and on and on, then each newly created board was split in half and it’s pieces were machined into crown molding. All this took was about a million dollar finger cutter/glueing/molding machine, and several very large freighters full of Braziliann 2x4 pine sticks. I know this is molding not framing 2x4s, but they looked and felt much better than typical warped, split, knot filled framing studs from the box store. When built into a house with plywood or osb on one side and drywall on the other they should make a nice straight wall.

Comment

Working...