• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Smartmeter Data on energy usage for my home

I can download I think one or two years electricity usage for my home in a CSV spreadsheet form with kWh usage in 15 minute increments.

What can I do with this information?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	energy usage 1906 hickory chase 2019-jul-19.JPG Views:	0 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	837800
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Do you have an electric range?

It's curious that your consumption continues to decline even after you've probably gone to bed. I wonder why that is. I figured it would have stayed pretty flat.

You know how those Nest thermostats are supposed to learn your patterns and adjust accordingly? I wonder if someone could take that data and run it through some kind of DST model and determine whether the time changes are really saving electricity or not. It must have been done by now.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul

It's curious that your consumption continues to decline even after you've probably gone to bed. I wonder why that is. I figured it would have stayed pretty flat.

This is Texas. Data was from July.
      On hot days the ambient temperature is still close to 100F at midnight. Still pretty hot and the A/C runs in the wee hours of the morning a lot. Outdoors it cools off all though the wee hours of the morning and is coolest around 5-6 AM. So air conditioning doesn't really level off until then.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

What can you do with the info? Depends on what you want and your household. I used it to see whether the smart wifi thermostats would truly save money by putting the upstairs into an 8 degree hotter offset in summer during the day, because we only use the downstairs. (And yes, a LOT, they pay for themselves.) I messed with some large appliance use to see what would affect our bill the most, because we're on a demand usage billing plan (expensive during peak usage, cheap otherwise). I also figured out that it saves a couple bucks to have the smart thermostats cool "too much" early on, then cool less during peak time.

Comment

• MBG
          • Apr 2003
          • Chicago, Illinois.
          • Craftsman 21829

Guy at work has a system called "Sense." It actually has signatures of power usage on many common appliances. He showed me how it knows refrigerator, toaster, garage door opener ... My thought is after you get maybe years worth of data you probably don't need such a system long term once you see where your waste is.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

This thread is an interesting read!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I've looked at the Sense and the other similar systems. There's a huge variety in how they measure, or attempt to measure, each device or branch circuit. It came down to none of them being 100% right for everyone so I skipped it. I guess I should look again.

Comment

Working...