• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Drywall hanger help

I just want to install some shelf brackets but ran into an issue. This wall has several layers of drywall stacked on top of each other--at least 5" thick because I haven't gotten to the other side yet. It will be for laundry soap, etc, so not exactly light stuff.

I was going to use Togler bolts but nope. I also have those screw in drywall hangers that you run a screw threw the middle, but they won't penetrate the multiple layers.

I'm thinking now to just use a long screw or maybe one of those sleeved plastic hangers where you drill a small hole and then tap in the sleeve.

What do you think?
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why someone would hang ten layers of wall board on a wall. I suppose there isn't a wall scanner that could penetrate that thickness to allow you to find the studs behind all of that. Toggle bolts with extra long screws would be an option assuming you can determine the actual wall thickness. If the drywall is really 5" thick and your shelf isn't going to support excessive weight, how about the longest molly bolts you can find and just torque them enough to get a good grip on the holes in the drywall? Maybe use extra to ensure you get the support needed? Do you have the floor space for a free standing shelf unit?
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 06-16-2019, 02:44 PM.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

With that thick sheet rock you shouldn’t have to worry about fire.
      I cant imagine why anyone would keep stacking drywall, do you suppose they attempted to screw it to the previous layer? What good would that do. Maybe just squirt on some liquid nails and squish on a new sheet.
      If you keep drilling, sooner than later you will get to the back side of the sheet rock and can use a toggle bolt.
      I've never heard of it being used this way, but an expansion bolt, the umbrella type fastener that is used to attach things to walls....... might be able to be inserted and expanded enough to get a good grip.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Jim: I'm still trying to wrap my head around why someone would hang ten layers . . .

Capncarl: I cant imagine why anyone would keep stacking drywall, . . .
        LOL . . . Sorry fellows, I had to laugh at that. We are basically woodworkers who operate from a common sense perspective; in Overseas construction, THAT (American common sense construction) goes out the window. Look at it this way, fill the wall with left over sheetrock pieces and you don't have to haul it off, and you don't have to put insulation in!

At least you found what they did with the drywall you posted a few months back:
        I've definitely seen worse in the US. One of the residences in our building is undergoing a major renovation. Workers have been hauling out bag after bag of

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mpc
          • Feb 2005
          • Cypress, CA, USA.
          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Is this wall original to the house or a un-handyman DIY addition? I ask because I wonder if there even ARE any studs in there - could the whole wall be nothing more than a thick stack of drywall? A few panels glued together would make a fairly stiff/rigid "wall" of sorts but wouldn't hold any real load - either above it or attached to it. I'm imagining home-made "plywood" built from overlapping layers of drywall glued together! "How to build a wall without a saw - just skip wood studs completely!" from the April Fools Day home carpentry book.

If you can find a real wood top plate (horizontal piece atop the studs just below the ceiling) it might be safer to just hang furring strips vertically from that to support your shelves. Failing that, another strong but not very pretty option is to hang 4 chains or threaded rod from ceiling studs and use those to hold shelves.

mpc
          Last edited by mpc; 06-16-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

We live in a highrise and each unit is individually owned. This unit and several others in the building are leased to the USG for us to live in. This wall is bouncy and it seems this band of thick drywall starts about 18" off the floor and extends to 40" off the floor--exactly where these shelves are going. I am assuming because it's a highrise, they are using metal studs. I've seen the trash coming out of other units being renovated and it's all metal studs. I can't locate any studs in this wall, though--5' span. On the other side of this wall is the AC air handler closet. That whole closet is lined with a 1" thick fibery board labeled "Ductliner". There is evidence they've opened this wall up before so as Hank suggested, maybe they crammed all their leftover drywall in here rather than disposing of it or it was for some kind of sound insulation.

Anyway, we have another 6 months left here and I figured done is better than perfect. I found some 3 1/2" course thread drywall screws in my toolbox. I did manage to get one Togler bolt into a "normal" section and some of the screw-in anchors into other areas. Shelf standards are up and feel secure enough to me. Now to go cut some shelving material.

This is the most DIY I've done in over a year. I miss my shop (and normal house).

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

The walls are relatively sound proof, how about the ceiling and floor? I can’t imagine anyone living below my daughter in law and grand daughter, they stomp like a bunch of troops doing the goose step..... they seem to enjoy the noise. When they visit us I bet they go home with sore feet because my house is built on a concrete slab and doesn’t make any noise as they stomp around.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

2nd time I got to use my track saw in over 1.5 years. Here's a view from my "shop"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190619_123627_HDR~2-1571x1184.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	836904

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

Wow and Wow!
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Carlos
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Walldog screws will go through as many layers of drywall as you have. I've used them in a three layer installation (sound resistant room).

DEWALT is the leader in contractor power tools including cordless drills, woodworking tools and professional power tools.

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

At least if you dropped something it wouldn’t just roll under a workbench never to be seen again!

Comment

• tfischer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                        This unit and several others in the building are leased to the USG for us to live in. .
                        This all might make sense if USG means "United States Gypsum" lol

Comment

Working...