• Show
Clear All
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

Rolling kitchen pantry

I'm looking for some tips on constructing a rolling kitchen pantry. Has anyone made one? What I have in mind will be about 8' tall about 10" wide in total include hardware and lumber with wheels underneath . I will connect I it to the wall with full extension drawer glides. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Here is a link to a project I did in 2014. I didn't realize it was that long ago.

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

I used the back side of the slides to attach a couple of long magnets to hold it next to/onto the refrigerator. You will be attaching it to a wall, therefore you will probably need to find a stud or place a couple of horizontal wood boards to attach the slider to the wall.

Noticed the link to the rollers that I used. I was concerned that the rolling pantry would get too heavy and wear the floor. Therefore I used the double rollers. The bottom was not wide enough for them to be side by side, so I staggered them.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• billwmeyer
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Weir, Ks, USA.
      • BT3000

Thanks Lee! That is what I was looking for. I'd forgotten that those appliance rollers existed. I may go that route. Did your daughter have any problems with it? It looks great and the magnet attachment idea was genius! I've seen those without any slides and figured they would tip. Thanks for the links!

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

My daughter has not had any problems with it. She does not "clean," as much as her parents do , so I was a little worried that dust buildup might cause problems with tracking later on, but so far she has not had any problems in the 4 1/2 years since it was built. We were there in early December and while I didn't pay any attention to how well it worked, my daughter did use it several times in our presence. There were no problems.

BTW, I used 1x8 cut down for sizing to the size needed, but on the bottom piece, I used 2x4 and reinforced the vertical wall at the bottom where it met the 2x4. I wasn't concerned about flex as the backing would add rigidity but I was concerned about all the weight coming down on the bottom joint. The back panel (1/4 in. ply) did add some vertical strength, but still I was concerned about all the weight being on the front and back 1x8 vertical boards. Hers was heavy once she put everything on it. But it still rolled easily and smoothly and tracked well.
        Last edited by leehljp; 01-03-2019, 06:34 PM.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Lee, does this cabinet have a full “box” cabinet? Or is just a front and short sides just to hide the contents? If it is a full cabinet does it really need wheels? Or would it tip forward when it is opened?
          I’m not sure how wheels would treat some kitchen floorings...... I know that wheels destroy my epoxy covered concrete shop floor.

capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
            Lee, does this cabinet have a full “box” cabinet? Or is just a front and short sides just to hide the contents? If it is a full cabinet does it really need wheels? Or would it tip forward when it is opened?
            I’m not sure how wheels would treat some kitchen floorings...... I know that wheels destroy my epoxy covered concrete shop floor.

capncarl
            It is a full box cabinet, if I understand your question correctly.

See this picture: https://www.sawdustzone.org/filedata/fetch?id=798717

At close to the top and bottom you can see the slides, and you can see how my daughter has already filled it in. The back side of the slide are connected to strong bar magnets (screws) and the magnets (upper and lower) are magnetically attached to the side of the fridge. The magnets just hold it stable vertically; the wheels support all the weight.

I was concerned about the wheels causing ruts or marks in the floor due to the weight, but after 4+ years, you can't even tell.
            Hank Lee

Comment

• billwmeyer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Weir, Ks, USA.
              • BT3000

Thanks for that picture! I assumed the drawer slides were on the back of the cabinet. Yours are on the front and that solves a problem with access that I I worried about. Again, that magnet solution is genius! I'm glad you mentioned 2 by 4 on the bottom. I was going to make a box out of just plywood. I'm going to follow your lead on that.I was also worried about destroying the floor. Looks like I'll be getting a couple of sets of those appliance rollers! Thanks Lee. You've been a great help. Much more than You-Tube!

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

Hank, I was wondering if you attached the appliance rollers to the cabinet and if so how did you do that? Looking at the pictures on Amazon, there does not seem to be any room for screw holes.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

I don't remember how I did that.
                  1. It seems like that in the middle of the 4 front set of 8 rollers on each end, there is a gap; or in the middle of the 8 rollers laterally & front and back, there is a gap. I think I drilled a 1/8" hole or there abouts and placed a single screw, then screwed it to the base of the cabinet. It seems like I used 4 screws total. In other words, I went in with a screw from the bottom of the roller and screwed it to the base of the cabinet.

2nd possibility:
                  2. ON top of the front and back pad, place a double sided 1/16" thick double stick tape and stick it to the underside of the cabinet. The weight alone will keep it in place. Do that for all 4 pads.
                  I don't think I did it this way, but it should work.
                  Last edited by leehljp; 01-12-2019, 09:20 AM.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• billwmeyer
                    billwmeyer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks again! I used to have a cheap set of these and didn't remember much space for screws. I'm not always real successful with double stick tape, but I'll try it if there's no room for screws. I've considered boxing in the rollers too to keep them moving if they hit something that slips under the pantry. I really appreciate that you're letting me pick your brain! Thanks!
                Working...