• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Cleaning water stains from hardwood flooring

Last winter we had some water damage around the sidelight of the front door and it stained the hickory hardwood flooring. Last weekend I removed the front door and added flashing tp the sill and sides of the framing, repaired the jamb and re installed the front door.

I've now sanded through the floor finish but the stain seems to be through the wood. Is there a way to clean this prior to refinishing it or am I going to have to remove and replace these boards? The floor is only a couple of years old and I do have some leftover pieces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	doorfloor.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	834769

This appears to be mold or mildew and I'm hesitant to just throw chemicals at it if I don't know what I'm doing. I got the bleach out and then stopped and thought I'd ask first.
    Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I ended up replacing four boards and now just need to paint it all and replace the trim. It turns out the door is now about 1/4" farther to the right than where it started so I'll need to cut the trim on one side and find a board stretcher for the other.

Click image for larger version

Name:	doorfloor2.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	834771
    Chr's

Comment

• tjoosk
      Banned
      • Aug 2019

Over time, a thick layer of dirt is stored near the front door, which is expressed in dark spots. You will need to do wet cleaning. By the way, you should forget about a mop with a wet rag right away, since the wooden floor does not like such care. You should apply the special product on the dirty area, take a microfiber cloth and gently wipe the dirt away. This product can help https://cleanhomeguide.com/bona-hard...leaner-review/, what do you think?
      Last edited by tjoosk; 08-11-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...