• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Finally, some kitchen progress

We are rapidly approaching 2 years with a temporary kitchen in the basement laundry room in our house. Since last summer, shop time has been limited by triple hernia surgery, two bouts of pneumonia, and a blown out knee. Three full days in the shop over memorial day weekend and I finally have something to show for it.

If I can get these installed this weekend, we can get counters ordered and have a functional but incomplete kitchen by Independence day. Right now we have a toaster oven, microwave, and a sink with 14" of counter space. There's a refrigerator in the garage a few feet away. The two that are away from the wall are the once where I need to cut holes for plumbing and the gas line for the cooktop.

Long wall of cabinets with Wall Oven setup

Short wall of kitchen cabinets
    Chr's
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

Nice!

Do you use the plinth legs often? I used them for a couple of cabinets in the kitchen of my previous home. I liked them well enough, I just haven't seen them used very often.
    Last edited by os1kne; 05-31-2018, 12:00 PM.
    Bill

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002

This is the first time I've ever used them. The floor of this house is out of level enough that shimming traditional cabinets to get everything level would have been a royal pain. The legs have an adjustment range of 50mm or nearly 2" so I'm hoping that will make leveling the cabinets much easier.

Some background. When my dad and I built the house in 1978, the engineer that designed the trusses wasn't an engineer at all and forged his credentials when he was hired at the truss company ... now long out of business. The company came and raised and braced them back then because they sagged almost immediately, but they've sagged about 3/4 inch over a 28' span in the 40 years since. It isn't really noticible to most people. The floor truss at the back of the cabinets on the long wall is sitting on the foundation wall so it is straight and the next truss 2' away from the wall has the full sag. In the middle of the wall the floor is 3/4 lower at the front of the cabinet than at the back. Just part of the joy of remodeling old houses.
      Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I’d guess by looking at it that you did not use Lowes plywood? It’s not warping like you trusses did.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Looks good. That wall paint looks really even, too.

How do you attach a toe kick onto those legs?

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

For attaching the toe kicks, there are little c shaped plastic clips that have a flange. The flange is screwed to the wooden toe-kick, the c-side clips to the plinth legs.
            Bill

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

I got all of them installed late last night. and I have to say leveling cabinets with the legs on them was a breeze. Mrs and I have a date to order counters and a sink and Interstate Building Supply Saturday morning.

Now I just need to build uppers, doors and drawers.
              Chr's

Comment

• Two Much
                Established Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Long Island, NY
                • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

That is quite a big project to be in the middle of when you've had so my health issues, plus working as well...
                It will be all the more sweet when it is complete. I know it's going to be awesome. Love, love the floor.
                Any more pics of the progress?
                Best Wishes.

Comment

• jabe
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Hilo, Hawaii
                  • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Looks nice, will you be using euro hinges & soft close drawer slides? Wise to use those legs being your floor is out of level, it would be a nightmare to level the old way.

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by jabe
                    Looks nice, will you be using euro hinges & soft close drawer slides? Wise to use those legs being your floor is out of level, it would be a nightmare to level the old way.
                    I have the euro hinges already for the doors and I'm planning on using the BLuhm blue motion 563 drawer slids. They're expensive, but really nice to work with.
                    Chr's

Comment

• jabe
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Hilo, Hawaii
                      • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Sweet, I've used Blum hardware in all the cabinet jobs I did. I have the Blum mini press so it was easy to drill/install hinges on the door. It also had the multi drill head to make the self holes. Retired now but still have the machine. You will need a jig to install those slides to the drawer or U can make your own.

Comment

• tjoosk
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2019

Some background. When my dad and I built the house in 1978, the engineer that designed the trusses wasn't an engineer at all and forged his credentials when he was hired at the truss company ... now long out of business. The company came and raised and braced them back then because they sagged almost immediately, but they've sagged about 3/4 inch over a 28' span in the 40 years since. It isn't really noticible to most people. The floor truss at the back of the cabinets on the long wall is sitting on the foundation wall so it is straight and the next truss 2' away from the wall has the full sag. In the middle of the wall the floor is 3/4 lower at the front of the cabinet than at the back. Just part of the joy of remodeling old houses.
                        Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
                          twistsol commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Plagiarism at its finest. this is a copy and past of of a preivous post of mine in this thread.
                      Working...