• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

It’s probably a good idea to cut off the water while on vacation.... but ..... what if there is a small brush fire that your neighbor could put out by using your garden hose?
    I know that is what the fire department is for but you should always be prepared. Like having a supply of bottled water, some canned food and all that stuff in case of a storm.

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

LOL!!!!
      The only thing less less likely than a water leak is a random brush fire. The paranoia here is hilarious.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp

Our houses in Japan over 21 of our 26 years had tankless instant-on small units at each bathroom and at the kitchen. Americans don't think that way and waste a lot of water for the hot water to get to the destination. We also had split AC/heat units our last 20 years there and loved that localized heating and cooling as needed. Very efficient.
        Were the localized tankless units gas or electric?

You've got me thinking about this, a tankless for each bathroom rather than one larger central unit makes a lot of sense. However, if electric, power requirements are significant and not so compatible with many US homes, while we also do not typically have gas piped into each bathroom, and venting is potentially an issue.

--------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by capncarl
          It’s probably a good idea to cut off the water while on vacation.... but ..... what if there is a small brush fire that your neighbor could put out by using your garden hose?
          I know that is what the fire department is for but you should always be prepared. Like having a supply of bottled water, some canned food and all that stuff in case of a storm.
          Interesting question. While unexpected water leaks are surprisingly common, I don't know how common brush fires are, and probably more common in the West and desert. It also seems they are not putting hydrants in many newer neighborhoods, so if the fire department exhausts the water supply they carry there could be additional delays.

FWIW, in the midwest I do know many people who have had burst water lines, failed meters, and other unexpected water leaks, but have not really heard about brush fires, even though people here openly burn weeds.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Agreed, failures of PEX hose fittings and other cheap builder grade faucets and connectors in modern houses are prone to fail with no reason. I guess it is just a gamble whether to turn off the main when on vacation or not. For that matter a water leak while you are at work or gone to the store could cause quite a mess, though not as much of a mess as a leak running unchecked for a week. Any way you look at it your homeowners insurance will come into play.

My my thoughts on leaving my water on to put out yard fires is based on where we live. My subdivision is 10-12 miles away from the nearest volunteer fire station. We have aprox 30 houses on 3-4 acres each, built in a Loblolly pine forest which is also surrounded on 3 sides by more pines, broom straw fields and creek swamp. Across the highway from the front of the subdivision is a gazillion acre farmers field that is commonly planted in wheat which they burn upon harvest. I live probably 1000 yards from the field, and if you have never witnessed a wheat field set ablaze you should put that on your bucket list. It goes up like a bomb, I can hear the static like crackle from my house. I believe it would melt the paint on a car traveling on the highway if it was to stop. It is not uncommon for these wheat field fires to set the nearby woods on fire, there are several burned out pine forest nearby, some burned by lightning strikes as well. While you are adding to your bucket, put on watching a pine forest on fire....... from a distance. It is terrifying, once the fire gets started there is little hope of putting it out. To add to the confusion we are able to open burn yard debris with a phone permit from the forestry dept. I’m more afraid of my neighbors setting the world on fire than the farmers or lightning.

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by capncarl
              Agreed, failures of PEX hose fittings and other cheap builder grade faucets and connectors in modern houses are prone to fail with no reason. I guess it is just a gamble whether to turn off the main when on vacation or not. For that matter a water leak while you are at work or gone to the store could cause quite a mess, though not as much of a mess as a leak running unchecked for a week. Any way you look at it your homeowners insurance will come into play.
              When I suffered a water leak, one day while I was at work, so running for less than 8 hours, it still did a lot of damage. Unfortunately homeowners insurance would not cover the damage, the coverage is very specific and only covers certain types of water damage. In my case, the compression fitting on the city side of the meter pushed off the pipe, so since it was the city's side my insurance would not cover. In theory the city's insurance should have covered it, but it's usually difficult to impossible to get coverage from government entities.

My my thoughts on leaving my water on to put out yard fires is based on where we live. My subdivision is 10-12 miles away from the nearest volunteer fire station. We have aprox 30 houses on 3-4 acres each, built in a Loblolly pine forest which is also surrounded on 3 sides by more pines, broom straw fields and creek swamp. Across the highway from the front of the subdivision is a gazillion acre farmers field that is commonly planted in wheat which they burn upon harvest. I live probably 1000 yards from the field, and if you have never witnessed a wheat field set ablaze you should put that on your bucket list. It goes up like a bomb, I can hear the static like crackle from my house. I believe it would melt the paint on a car traveling on the highway if it was to stop. It is not uncommon for these wheat field fires to set the nearby woods on fire, there are several burned out pine forest nearby, some burned by lightning strikes as well. While you are adding to your bucket, put on watching a pine forest on fire....... from a distance. It is terrifying, once the fire gets started there is little hope of putting it out. To add to the confusion we are able to open burn yard debris with a phone permit from the forestry dept. I’m more afraid of my neighbors setting the world on fire than the farmers or lightning.
              Interesting, I've not experienced anything like that. I still fear my neighbors burn piles starting a large file, though.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Like Carlos says..... paranoia. Gotta go now, stock up on water and canned food in case Dorian turns my way!

Comment

Working...