• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Wow, nice, and in 4 days? Even better.

What did he use to build up the shower pan? My wife wants to remodel our master bath. I've been looking at a lot of YouTube. I know about the Schluter Kerdi system and it seems really expensive. Saw one guy who does it the traditional way with mud pan, etc, and doesn't seem too bad. She wants to hire it out but I can't stomach the cost.

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

He did exactly like chopnhack described above - with a mortar/concrete curb.

I was pleasantly shocked to see how fast they completed it - I've seen a friend wait two weeks while theirs got done - same size bathroom. A friend who's a retired bathroom remodeler said he'd give full marks for this work.

He told me he started out a decade ago as a workman for a hotel contractor - doing hundreds of bathroom at a stretch, so he got habituated to relentless, prison-worker type of speed; he was barely out of his teens and undocumented then, so he never could complain, but I guess it set him up with great skill set, experience, and work ethic. He learned and has got licensed on everything now - plumbing, electricity and masonry.

His quoted price for labor for this was $2,200, which also included installation of everything else you see - sink/vanity, the light fixtures, the shower doors (for which HD quoted $229), even moving the plumbing for the sink. The quote from HD for just the tiling and the shower bed was $5,100, not including these extras.

I ended up paying him an extra $200, just because.
      Last edited by radhak; 10-23-2016, 06:20 AM.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Thanks for the additional info. That price I can stomach even though ours would be bigger. Maybe he'd be interested in a trip up to DC. Plane ticket, room and board included.

My coworker had Lowe's do their bathroom and walkin closet. I think his was $20-30k. Problem is their first sub screwed up big time and Lowe's had to send another sub out who ripped it all out and started again. Although that sub was much better, he had to move on to another job so there are little things that aren't done. It's been 18 months.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Another question. Do you know what size drain you had for your tub? Was it 1 1/2"? Did he size the shower up to 2"? Do you know how far into the drain you have to upsize a shower to 2"?

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

We happened to have 2", but he told me that FL code now allows for 1.5" for showers too (I think if converted from tub), so we would not have had to do anything either way.

I'm not sure what'd need to be done if it would have to be fixed : but you might want to check local code - that 2" requirement seems to be old, and might have changed for you too.
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• Two Much
              Established Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Long Island, NY
              • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Wow, I know this is a year old now...But, what a fabulous tile job. The tiles you chose are drop dead gorgeous.
              Love the shower door too. We have a 5 foot shower as well...this makes me want to do my shower over.
              Love the vanity and mirror choice as well.

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks! Even a year later that bathroom feels real chic to me !

Those tiles, btw, were marked as 'patio tiles' - they the rough type of surface you encounter outdoors, but we wanted to avoid the smooth-as-glass ones, so this suited us to a T.

And, like the shower doors, even that mirror and the vanity are from HomeDepot, believe it or not...
                - Aristotle

Comment

• Two Much
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Long Island, NY
                  • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

No matter where it's from, you and your wife put it together beautifully.

Comment

• tjoosk
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2019

That bathroom actually looks pretty nice, at least from the pic.

What is the second pipe that goes up on the right for? A vent? Does it then go back inside the wall? Seems odd to me to have a drain go back up, and also odd to have a vent that starts inside the cabinet.

Comment

• radhak
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Miramar, FL
                      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks!

Yes, that pipe on the right went into the wall for sink's "out", and it also had a tall vent. Came with the house, so I ain't sure of the logic behind it.Now it's all fixed.

- Aristotle

Comment

• durango dude
                        • Mar 2011
                        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

LOML is a little too self conscious for glass doors. We stuck with a shower curtain. Saved some bucks, too. Note to self ------ new tubs are about 1" wider than older tubs ------ move the shower head, next time. Hardest part of a bath remodel (for me) is all the centering and leveling. There's a big difference between woodworking (I do that pretty well) and framing/constructing (I do that ----- )
                        Last edited by durango dude; 08-27-2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• Carlos
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Huh, we're having some issues with our frosted glass doors/enclosure, and I told her I think I want clear glass to replace it so I can watch. She agreed.

Somewhat sadly, I think I found how to fix it.

Comment

Working...