• Show
Clear All
  • gychang
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Sacramento, California
    • none

upgrade to recessed LED kitchen lights, advise

I have 4 recessed light "bowls" that I want to upgrade using the LED light from homdepot. Main problem is existing light which is 5" U shaped florescent light does not have the regular screw type but is snap on-off as pictured.

I was initially thinking I can just cut the snap on-off part and replace with screw recepticle but i am not sure if that is feasible since the ballast maybe in the ceiling above the fixture. Would appreciate expert opinion on this.
    Attached Files
  • Condoman44
    Established Member
    • Nov 2013
    • CT near Norwich
    • Ryobi BT3000

I would change the fixture out.

If you use lights like the T67 from HD they can be mounted in a round J box. Make some plywood U brackets and attach to ceiling so the screws can be covered by the trim ring.

Keep things in the J box small as it is a tight fit. I use the friction fit 14-2 restraint to minimize protrusion into the box. The last time I mounted these I removed the connectors supplied, tinned the wires & used wire nuts.

I now have 10 of these in the house and only had to return one that flickered for replacement.

Comment

• gychang
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Sacramento, California
      • none

Originally posted by Condoman44
      If you use lights like the T67 from HD they can be mounted in a round J box. Make some plywood U brackets and attach to ceiling so the screws can be covered by the trim ring.

Keep things in the J box small as it is a tight fit. I use the friction fit 14-2 restraint to minimize protrusion into the box. The last time I mounted these I removed the connectors supplied, tinned the wires & used wire nuts.

I now have 10 of these in the house and only had to return one that flickered for replacement.
      thanks for your input, being a rather novice, I was wondering if I can do this without having to open the J box... can I just cut the wires into the snap on-off on the top of the "cone" and wire in a screw type? (assuming ballast was in the florescent bulb?)

Comment

• smckinney
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2010
        • Craftsman 21829

Ballast

The ballast on that fixture is not in the bulb. It will be mounted somewhere on the frame of the fixture above the ceiling.

You can't connect a medium base socket to the leads going to the current lamp base.

If you can get the fixture out of the ceiling, you are probably better off replacing it with a fixture that has a medium base socket. That will allow you to install the retrofit kit you posted. Sorry, I know this isn't the news you wanted to hear.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Are those the Halo LED retrofits? We remodeled our kitchen last year, took it down to the studs and back up, and used 4 of those in recessed cans. Love 'em.

Comment

• RAV2
            Established Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Massachusetts

Might want to check Lowes on their BR30 flood LEDs. I bought 24 the past month as they were dimmable and looked like the common flood light they were replacing. Slightly more versatile. About 13 watts each and can use standard dimmers.

Comment

Working...