• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • natausch
    Established Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Aurora, IL
    • BT3000 - 15A

My advice is to find an electrician on Craigslist looking to do a side job. You'll be responsible to pull permits if it's a major job, but for homeowner level (couple outlets) generally the first time an inspector will see it is when you're looking to sell your house.

For a couple outlets you're looking at maybe 2-3 hours of work. General rate is around $50 per outlet off the books, closer to $100 on the books. It is a bit risky, so you have to check their license and BBB rating even before they provide an estimate.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by natausch
      My advice is to find an electrician on Craigslist looking to do a side job.
      Or, just get a qualified electrician from referral. Members here can advise you into trouble. I may sound like a broken record, but electrical work isn't anything to fool with. Members can sound like they know what they are talking about when in fact the advise could be way off. They can claim to be electricians or electrical engineers and they may be or not. They aren't there on your site. I would think if a member was an electrician or had specific knowledge, that you would be advised to consult with an electrician.

The fact is, a qualified electrician will assess your site and make recommendations. Free advise is worth exactly what you pay for it. What we're talking about can be life threatening, which is a little bit different than suggestions on which sandpaper is best.

Comment

• reddog552
        Established Member
        • Dec 2006
        • Belleville Il.
        • Bt3000

Garage wiring

I sent U a PM. I am a electrican 30+ yrs expirence.A member on Electrical Talk A website for electrical contracters.I think I can walk U through this.
        The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• unknown poster
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006

My builder also installed just 1 15 amp outlet. My garage door opener is on it's own circuit, so I had an electrician swap my garage door opener breaker for a GFI breaker. Then I attached a retractable extension cord from the ceiling. Now I've got 15 amp power anywhere I need it, just grab the cord and go. It's the best upgrade I've made to the shop.

The cord I used was similar to this one. Mine is about 10 years old, the new ones might be different.

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by unknown poster
            My builder also installed just 1 15 amp outlet. My garage door opener is on it's own circuit, so I had an electrician swap my garage door opener breaker for a GFI breaker. Then I attached a retractable extension cord from the ceiling. Now I've got 15 amp power anywhere I need it, just grab the cord and go. It's the best upgrade I've made to the shop.

The cord I used was similar to this one. Mine is about 10 years old, the new ones might be different.
            http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...2_03483928000P
            The one you're showing is only 16 ga which is considered good for 13 amps and I'd down-rate that if you don't pull the cord out all the way.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

A few things to consider:

That wall outlet, unless you wired the place yourself, most likely is 14 AWG for 15 A circuits and 12 AWG for 20 A. Do you really gain anything using a 10AWG cord plugged into it?

As important and perhaps more important is the quality of the connection points. I would replace the .39 wall receptacles with an industrial grade that perhaps will cost $5 and be hard to plug into and to pull the plug out of and will require you to actually capture the wire under a screw and not just push in and make the connection to a bent piece of copper.

How the wire is connected inside the cord to the ends can render a 10 AWG cord no better than one made of zip cord. After running your saw or whatever feel the end and if it's warm then there is too much resistance, either the wire to the connector or between the connectors. I have found that often a ready made extension cord of say 50' is less expensive than buying 50' of cord off the roll at the borg. I will buy the cord cut the ends off of it and make two 25' cords with good quality connectors. Just make sure that you buy the connectors with clamps made for stranded wire and not just a screw terminal that is only good for solid wire.

Here is a handy calculator for wire resistance. If you have a quality DMM/DVOM you can measure the resistance through the wire and connectors and find out how much the connectors are adding to the resistance and thus the quality of the connector and the attachment.

I'm not an electrician nor an electrical engineer. I'm sure one or the other will chime in here and correct or elaborate on what I have said.

Bill
              on the left coast

Comment

Working...