Mother-in-Laws Floors Refinishing Done!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drillman88
    • Dec 2007
    • Southeast
    • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

Mother-in-Laws Floors Refinishing Done!!!!

I thought I would post some pics of the hardwood floors I refinished at my MIL's house she is about to put on the market. The house was built in the late 1950's, carpet was installed when they moved in the early 1970's.
    Over the years dogs had been kept in the house and they stained the hardwood badly. I had a time getting those stains up.There was also a place were a planter must've been kept that was stained pretty dark. I was able to get most of those out with either wood bleach or clorox. there were a few that lightened up some but not completely.
    I have written before about the special relationship I have with this house. Nothing ever seems to work out well when I have to repair something over there. The house actually gave me a break. Once I got the stains up the floors sanded really well. I drum sanded to 100 grit, then I put down 2 coats of oil based poly. I waited 2 days scuff sanded with a 3 head random orbital and put on the final coat.

I am glad this is done!!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by drillman88; 02-23-2011, 12:16 PM.
    I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Looks real nice, ought to look that way for quite some time too.
    Erik

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

beautifully done. i have to do the floors in our 92 YO home and can only hope they turn out as well as those did.
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Nicely done Drillman! I bet you can't wait to see that place sell
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• 10sCoachRick
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Austin, TX

Well done! Our 1956 'ranch' was similarly outfitted with carpet in all but three rooms. Same deal with pet stains(over 50? years). Took a bit of doin', but the refinished floors helped sell the house in no time(along with DW's well-designed kitchen re-do). There's something about wood floors in a house from that era...folks(women, esp) love 'em!

Comment

• drillman88
            • Dec 2007
            • Southeast
            • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

Thanks for your kind words.
            I think they will be a major selling point. Refinishing the hardwood floor was really a no brainer. It cost about $400 to rent the equipment and buy the material to do 1000 or so square feet. So that is way cheaper than carpet. Saving money and making money at the same time is hard not to do.

I put down laminate in the kitchen and refinished these floors. They put an addition on in the 70"s that has paneling and some ugly linoleum floors in 2 rooms. I am not going to do anything with them. I figure someone will either paint or tear the paneling down. When that gets done would be the time to refloor.

The floors and removing wallpaper in the kitchen and bathroom were the biggest time consumers.
            I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• Shep
              • Nov 2008
              • Columbus, OH
              • Hitachi C10FL

Great job Drillman
              -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

Working...