Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Quiet batchroom fans

This is not completely on topic for home improvement. Why is there such a
    drive to go towards ultraquiet bathroom fans? It would seem that for a guest
    bath or powder room, your guests might appreciate the camouflaging advantage
    of a fan that sounds like a jet engine rather than something that will let
    everyone else outside the bathroom hear a pin drop.

When I remodel my master bath, it will have a quiet fan. I do my best thinking
    in there and I'm not going to fool anyone by masking what's actually going on
    in there. For my guests, I'm going to keep it loud--for sake and mine.

Paul
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I agree with what you wrote above. In Japan, it was common for women, in situations as you mentioned to turn the sink faucet on while in the bathroom. That didn't always work as some sinks were built into the back of the commode.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

Hey Paul.

There's this great invention that will solve your problem, A RADIO!

Seriously, while no one usually insulates interior walls, I did, and that and a solid door works great. Still not as cheap as a radio, but it does keep the bathroom warmer.

Bruce
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Alex Franke
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Chapel Hill, NC
        • Ryobi BT3100

I like the radio idea -- except wire it up so you can pipe the music in. Maybe start with Spanish Flea (Herb Alpert) and end up with the Jeopardy theme.

(Judging by the muscle memory exhibited in the subject of this thread, is it safe to assume that you frequently deal in collections or quantities of tasks, materials, or products? Maybe even collections of DNA? )
        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have the powder room sound problem.
          The powder room is almost directly adjacent to the family room where we usually entertain anyone who comes to visit. If its a small gathering, someone will go to the loo and you can hear just about every activity - the raising or lowering of the seat, the actual act, the flush, the fan, the sink running water and then the door opens and the person exits. Usually all conversation comes to a halt during this time and curiously, no one goes to the powder room after that. Me, if i need to go I excuse my self and go to the master suite...

The powder room has tile floor and the floor is tile just outside - a step away the family room carpet starts. The powder room is partially under the stairs. the ceiling over the comode slopes, theres a large mirror over the sink and wallpaper throughout.

I'm sure a doorsweep extending to the floor would help, also a solid core door, and insulation in the facing walls and some more sound absorbing material inside.

What i really need is a sound-absorbing toilet made of foam.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

A doorsweep & solid door would help, as well as insulation. If the sheetrock comes off for insulation hanging it or a couple layers on resilient channles will add to the STC rating. Another neat product out is some sheetrock type panels from Quietrock http://www.quietrock.com/soundproof-products.html I think they perform better than Homasote.
            Erik

Comment

• charliex
              • Mar 2004
              • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
              • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Why is it called a "powder room" when it clearly has a more obvious purpose? Why is it placed adjacent to the area of the house used for entertaining?
              Why is it that when faced with the opportunity of using this space I'm tempted to go behind a tree in the back yard?

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by charliex
                Why is it called a "powder room" when it clearly has a more obvious purpose?
                So the ladies can go 'powder their nose'.
                Why is it placed adjacent to the area of the house used for entertaining?
                'Cause you don't want guests to have to use an outhouse.
                Why is it that when faced with the opportunity of using this space I'm tempted to go behind a tree in the back yard?
                Sounds like personal preference to me.
                Erik

Comment

• Thalermade
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Ohio
                  • BT 3000

Way back in my college days, we quickly realized that the noisy bathroom fans purpose was to mask the voices of the people not in the bathroom, making comments about the person in the bathroom.

Russ

Comment

Working...