• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Bathtub?

We're making a bathroom out of a bedroom, but I'm having a hard time picking out a bathtub. Even after reading some of the pros and cons of different materials, I'm still questioning which material to get. Does anyone have a tub that they're not happy with? If so, what material is it made of, and what are the complaints? Cast iron has already been eliminated from the material choices for me (too heavy). If you have a tub you're happy with, how long have you had it? Any words of wisdom out there?

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • vaking
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

I always thought that for a bathtub heavy is good and castiron would be my first choice. Yes, they are heavy so you hire some help to bring it in. Thin tubs are often noisy. Both tubs I have in my house are castiron. I am not happy with one of them because it is too small but I don't think this is a consideration for you.
    Alex V

Comment

• knotley
      Established Member
      • Apr 2003
      • Canada.

I redid bathroom in spring. The newer fiberglass/acrylic tubs are thin - you can flex the outside apron very easily. My old 50 year old tub was of quite a heavy gauge enameled steel. The new steel tubs are thin.

After much researching, we picked a Vikrell http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/bath...wers/bathtubs/ tub. Made by Kohler. Strong and easy to install.

We are quite happy with our choice.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

Correct installation will make a acrylic tub much better. That often means pouring a mortar bed for the tub to sit on.

I like Kohler products but American Standard "Americast" is also highly recommended.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Thanks for the replies. I thought the Vikrell looked promising too, and that might be what we wind up with. How does it feel compared to a steel or cast iron tub?

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
            • Dec 2005
            • Russell, NY, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

When I built our house 15 yrs ago I installed an acrylic tub and surround and did just that; bedded the tub in mortar as well as using the expanding spray foam around the sides to deaden sound and give it less flexing. Must have worked cause its still solid and flex free. Hate to think of the mess if I ever have to replace it, however.
            RuffSawn
            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I grew up in the US and lived there until the age of almost 40. I traveled a fair amount and experienced quite a few different kinds of bath tubs. Then Japan. Japan's bathtubs are different from US types of "hot tubs" in that they are a bit smaller but function similarly. Now the point without discussing the differences is that I have have come to greatly like the shorter and deeper tubs over long and shallow tubs of normal US style. These, of course, still function as showers also. The only problem with deep tubs is that for older folks, and I am getting there, they are harder to get into and out of. But on a cold day in which one is chilled to the bone, those shorter deep tubs that allow shoulder deep hot water - it is a little like heaven!
              Last edited by leehljp; 11-21-2010, 06:09 PM.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jziegler
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Salem, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

I don't know if it is an option for a tub, but when we put in our new bathroom this past year, we choose a cultured marble shower pan, and are very happy with it. If there are tubs, they will be heavy (I'd guess the shower pan was 150-200 lbs), but very solid. The one we have has a nice textured, non-slip bottom, so you don't need any non-slip accessories in the bottom. The fiberglass and acrylic options just didn't look as nice to us, and cast iron was more expensive. I know that this was a shower and you are asking about tubs, but I just wanted to throw a different option out there for consideration.

Comment

• knotley
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Canada.

Originally posted by Ed62
                  Thanks for the replies. I thought the Vikrell looked promising too, and that might be what we wind up with. How does it feel compared to a steel or cast iron tub?

Ed
                  Nothing compares to my old thick steel tub! My old tub held the heat very very well. The Vikrell does not hold the heat as well, but does have some insulating value with the thin foam in the tub material. My model has a nice angled back rest.

I wonder if there is a unit or measurement for heat retention with tubs?

I haven't been in a cast iron in years so can't comment.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

My preference for tubs are the porcelain on cast iron.

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

Thanks again for the replies.

Ed

Comment

Working...