Should I 'feed' the T1-11 before staining?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Should I 'feed' the T1-11 before staining?

I'm staining the house and garage with Cabot's solid stain and when I looked at the south side of the house it is in terrible condition on the surface - the grain is severely lifted but not to the degree of delaminating. I had someone tell me that I should hit that side with a semi-transparent stain first because it has oil in it and the new solid stains are latex acrylic. He said that the oil would 'feed' the wood. On its face, this sounds logical but I need some insight here. The garage was also bad but I was using what was left of an oil-based solid there. What do you think?

As always, your opinions are appreciated!
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Check out this link.

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004

Thanks, M. I should have guessed that you would have a source.
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

Once T111 starts to go bad, it already has its bags packed and ready to go...

I fixed a shed with T111 a few year back by buying up the last 3 gal of the good oil based paint the local hardware store had and put 2 coats on it. It hid the issues with the wood and has held up well. I just like oil based exterior products over latex...

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004

Ditto on the oil over latex, Mike. What I've run into is that due to new EPA standards the solid stains are now water based. This is confusing in as much as the semi-transparents are oil based. The old stock of oil based, solid that I put on the garage did quite nicely. I haven't used any of the latex product yet. I'm apprehensive, to say the least.
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

Supposedly low VOC oil based products are supposed to be back on the market soon. I was just talking to the painter we contract with at work about it. I can still buy oil based through our work account or through him if I really need too. Anyone with a contractors license can get the stuff yet.

Comment

Working...