• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Adding Tube to Tubeless tire

The tires on my lawn tractor trailer don't hold air well. I am thinking of replacing the tires. I will at minimum add a tube. The tube should come with its own valve. Are they any special tools, adhesives, etc needed to do this? If I replace the tires, should I be able to work the old tire off with just a prybar?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

You could use a pry bar, or other common tools. There are tire changing bars that work great. I have a set of 3 I used on motorcycle tires. You'll have to remove the valve stem, and when you put the tube in the loose tire, put a small amount of air in it to open up all the folds. When you mount it, you could remove the little screw stem from the valve. You'll have to be careful not to pinch the tube with the tire iron when puttin' on the tire.

When you have the final bead mounted, put the stem back into the valve, bounce the tire around when adding air to even out the tube inside.

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

it should be just like a bicycle tire. whatever prybar you use make sure there aren't any sharp points on it to puncture the tube.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• 91FE
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

Why not slime it? http://www.slime.com/product_74_Tire_Sealant.html
        I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• rcp612
          Established Member
          • May 2005
          • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
          • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by 91FE
          Yeah!! I had a flat almost weekly on my lawn tractor because of multiflora roses that keep popping up from nowhere. Then I tried Slime in all 4 tires never had another flat. That stuff is great!!
          Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I almost bought something similar but am not sure the slime will work - the tires are old and starting to crack. I'd rather just replace them or add a tube. I put a tube in my wheelbarrow tire and it hasn't gone soft in 3 years.
            Last edited by crokett; 05-22-2008, 08:35 PM.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jonmulzer
              • Dec 2007
              • Indianapolis, IN

My father picked up a used riding mower last year for a song, but both back tires would not hold air. They were very old and dry rotted. We tried for an entire afternoon to get the wheels off the axle, but not even the smoke wrench or a jury rigged bearing puller would take it off. We slimed the tires and they have worked wonderfully ever since. Not even the tiniest leak and were still at pressure this spring when it came out of storage. Slime is pretty cheap and very easy. You might want to reconsider trying it first.

If you go the tube route, spray the inside of the tire and the tube both down with soapy water first. It keeps the tube from pinching on itself when you inflate. I also usually let the tube seat the beads. If you trap air between the tire and tube you will have a slow leak that makes you think the tube has a pinhole in it until all the air leaks out and the tube takes up the slack.
              "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

adding tube to tubless tires

Crockett, ironic and funny that you should mention that....had that same problem with one of the front tires on my zero turn radius mower. I have been iritated with it for long enough and last Saturday went to Northern tools
                and bought two tubes and fixed both front tires.

If you do the tube install yourself, try this idea. Take the wheel and mount
                it by the hub into your bench vise, it gives you more holding power and a lot
                less effort to remove tire , easier re-installing it back on the rim, sort of a make shift tire changer! It works well for me. eezlock

Comment

• gerti
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I wouldn't want to use Slime on anything moving fast, but for a lawn tractor it;s just the ticket. Kept the trouble tire on mine inflated for 2 years now. And a lot less work...

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by eezlock
                    If you do the tube install yourself, try this idea. Take the wheel and mount
                    it by the hub into your bench vise, it gives you more holding power and a lot
                    less effort to remove tire , easier re-installing it back on the rim, sort of a make shift tire changer! It works well for me. eezlock

On most rims, you shouldn't have to remove the tire. You just have to break back the bead on one side (maybe both sides) to get the tube in. You still have to get the old valve stem out.

Comment

• messmaker
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2004
                      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                      • Ridgid 2424

Small tubeless tires can be a handfull to work with. A shop with a changer would probably do it for about $10. If your tire turns out to be a tough one, you might consider the best money you ever spent.
                      spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

I picked up some slime today. I will see how that works.
                        David

Comment

• billwmeyer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Weir, Ks, USA.
                          • BT3000

I hope the slime works. If you do go the tube route, make sure you check the inside of the tire for a nail, screw, thorn, or anything else sharp that could have been causing the flat. It will puncture the tube and you will end up with the same problem.

Bill
                          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...