• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Loose deadbolt bezel

I noticed that the trim ring or bezel around the dead bolt is loose. How do you tighten this thing up without putting tooth marks from a pipe wrench on it (just kidding about the pipe wrench, BTW)? Do I have to call a locksmith?
    TIA
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

The two halves of the lock usually hold the bezel tight. Try tightening the screws that are on the inside that tighten the lock.

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

How loose? Some of them are deliberately loose enough to turn freely, to make it harder for a burglar to get hold of it during an attempted break-end.
      Larry

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

It was always tight, Larry, but I can see the argument in that approach. C.man, I do recall those screws but I didn't give it much thought as I was leaving the house and locking up. Thanks for the quick response. I believe that a little blue Lok-tite is in order.
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
          • Aug 2007
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • BT-3000, 21829

On mortise-type deadbolts the cylinder screws into the lock body. There is a should be a setscrew on the bolt plate (sometimes there's a decorative plate over the screw) that goes through the door and and keeps the lock cylinder from turning.

Loosen the screw and turn the cylinder in to touch the face plate, then tighten the setscrew.

Good luck.

J.D.
          You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
          of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

Working...