• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Need gas pressure drop calculations

After doing more research on my future tankless hot water heater, I've landed a couple more questions.

A plumber I've used in the past offers units from Rinnai. He has never actually sold one, but is interested in getting one under his belt and seems very helpful.

A possible concern a couple of people have mentioned is total BTU's drawn. I have a 250,000 BTU meter, the Rinnai pulls up to 180,000, and I think my furnace is up to 120,000 BTU's (I have to check). So the first question was, will my meter accomodate that. I called our local utility and spoke with a very helpful tech who told me (1) The meter is capable of 300,000 to 325,000 BTU's. (2) If I did exceed the meter's supply, I can get a larger meter installed at no charge. (3) That, I'm close to a larger gas line in the street and there is probably no chance of exceeding what the pipe from the street to my house can supply (I live on a large street). But if I DO, then I would have to pay to replace that (at which point I would sell my used tankless heater on eBay and write the project off).

Anyway, the tech at the utility brought up GAS SUPPLY PRESSURE. The Rinnai docs call for a minimum of 6" W.C. and a maximum of a 10" W.C. She told me they supply 7" at the meter, and that there is an immediate drop after the meter to approx. 6". She was surprised that this unit could require a minimum of 6". I told her the unit would be located approx. 40' from the meter, and she said I should replace my 3/4" pipe w/ 1". Others have said that, too.

But the question is, what will be my pressure at the end of a 40' of 1" pipe be if it starts at 6" of pressure? Can anyone do the math? I planned on using a flexible gas pipe, to make installation easier. But, I imagine flexible pipe will have a higher drop per foot than solid pipe?

And another question, which I guess is better put to Rinnai but I'll ask here too, is how can they require 6" as a minumum? Isn't that a rather high minimum?

Any enlightenment is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Phil
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

That doesn't sound right. Generally the meter should be supplying 1/2 lb (14" WC) gas into the house (state regs might restrict that) and then you reduce down closer to the appliance.
    Most NG appliances run @ 7" WC optimum.
    If I had my codebook at hand I could answer your pipe size questions. Will check at home tonight.
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

Intertesting. The lady from WE Energies (or like we call 'em, WEENERGIES), said they supply 1/4-pound after the meter. Maybe she was wrong? She seemed to know her stuff.

Comment

• bigsteel15
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2006
        • Edmonton, AB
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cgallery
        Intertesting. The lady from WE Energies (or like we call 'em, WEENERGIES), said they supply 1/4-pound after the meter. Maybe she was wrong? She seemed to know her stuff.
        I could be wrong...Now you've got me curiuos.
        I will check my regulator when I get home and see if I can find my old code book.
        It's been 10 years since I did gas service work and took the course.
        Brian

Welcome to the school of life
        Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

Working...