• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

What guage wire for dryer circuit?

Gonna move the dryer downstairs in a few weeks. I will add a junction at the current location and move the outlet downstairs. Is 10 guage what I need to finish the run?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Crash2510
    • Feb 2006
    • North Central Ohio

10-3 is acceptable gauge for the new dryer plugs with ground
    it will handle up to 30 amps or at 80% load a 24 amp dryer
    Phil In Ohio
    The basement woodworker

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Cool. Any issues with adding a drop for the shop while I am at it? Just in case I ever want 220v? Obviously I could not be drying clothes while I was running whatever power tool I had plugged in.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• rickd
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
        Cool. Any issues with adding a drop for the shop while I am at it? Just in case I ever want 220v? Obviously I could not be drying clothes while I was running whatever power tool I had plugged in.
        hi,

i was originally going to do exactly what you are asking about in my shop - running a drop off the dryer line. i asked around about it and was told that if i did that i should probably put a switch at the junction box to ensure that only one device(the dryer or 220v power tool) had juice at any one time.

in the end, i installed a dedicated 220v line to my workshop so i never did find out about how to do this switch thing - maybe someone else here knows more about it. in any event, i think if a switch is in fact possible it would probably be worth it. because, as you know, if 2 machines are able to run at once - they will!! murphy says so!!
        rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

The switch is a great idea. Since the junction will be in the basement ceiling and more or less always accessible, I think I will just wait until (and if) I ever need the 220V.
          David

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

If I am not mistaken, a dryer is supposed to be on a dedicated circuit. #10 wire is good to 30AMP.

Comment

• Crash2510
              • Feb 2006
              • North Central Ohio

you can keep it as a dedicated circuit with a switch as only one can run at a time
              make sure if you use the switch idea you get one thats capable of haneling the amperage because youll fry a small switch the first time on a 240v motor.
              Phil In Ohio
              The basement woodworker

Comment

Working...