X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

Vinyl siding question

Sometime this year we will be siding our ranch style house. I'm not yet sure if I will be doing it or getting a contractor. That will basiclly depend on the LOML and how long she could tollerate the outside being torn up.
    Anyway, there is a projection built out under the overhang in the bedroom. It forms a 24" extension of the room but it forms 45 degree angles on the outside. Do they make 45 degree OS and IS corners for vinyl siding? I have not seen them in the box stores. I could do the IS corner with 2 j-channels but how would you do the OS corner?
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Salty,

You could use J-channels for the outside corner also but it would be nice if they made a special piece. I consulted the website at "www.vinylsiding.org" which has a useful free guide but doesn't talk about non 90 degree corners (at least that I noticed). I would try calling some suppliers in your area.

Jim

Comment

• 91FE
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

I have a walk-out bay window on the back of my house. I think the builder just used regular 90's and bent them out for the OS corners. I'm not sure you're going to find 45's.
      I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• just4funsies
        • Dec 2005
        • Florida.
        • BT3000

Have you thought about using channels for aluminum siding in these couple of spots? I'll bet similar styles and colors are available, and if necessary, they could be bent to fit, and would stay the way you put them.
        ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• papadick
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2002
          • Rosemount, MN, USA.

Hi Salty

Im a siding contractor and we do bays all the time. What we do is just take a regular outside corner and press it into the corner so it flattens out. the best way to do this is to start at the middle of a window and nail the corner. then measure from the window to the corner and then nail at the top and bottom of the window measuring the same distance this will keep the corner plumb and also make all the siding run ups the same size. Any other questions Id be happy to answer.

Dick

Comment

• Salty
            • Feb 2006
            • Akron, Ohio

Thanks all. Dick, that would work in most instances but in this situation the corner would stick out past the roof edge. It is a strange way that they did this extension as they did not extend the roof. It just goes out under the 24" overhang. I'm going to get a few estimates from local contractors and I'll ask them what they recommend.
            On a related matter. The house is a mid 70s build and they put t-111 plywwod siding directly onto the stud walls. Over the years the siding has warped and buckled and looks bad so that is the main reason for going with the vinyl siding. However, if I take off the plywood siding I no longer have the strength of the corner bracing. It was suggested to me that putting 1/2" CDX in the corners and filling in between with 1/2" foam would do the trick and that seems to be the best solution.
            However, the builder also set the gable truss out flush with the siding that goes to the square so that the siding covering the gable could be overlapped onto the siding below. I am not sure I want to just put the vinyl double 4 siding right on the 2x4 truss members so I was thinking of using the DOW fanfold over the 1/2" ply and foam and also over the gable trusses. It is 1/4" thick, 48" wide and folds out to 50'. That would give a cushion between the siding and the gable truss. Also, that would create a horizontal seams over top of the other verticle seams.
            One last question for those patient enough to read this far, thank you.
            The walls have 3.5" fiberglass batt insulation with a foil face toward the living space. Should I be concerned about a moisture trap if I put the above mentioned foam board on the outside?

Thanks again.

Comment

• papadick
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2002
              • Rosemount, MN, USA.

Salty

since the bay extends to the fascia I would go with 2 j-channels back to back

regarding the old siding. This a a code issue whether or not you have to remove it. up here we can side over it after wrapping the house with tyvek or other house wrap. usually I screw the warped siding at every stud tto pull it in tight. the areas that dip below the studs is not a problem since you are not nailing the siding tight I just float over those areas.

Now as far as the gable overhang. are you sure the trusses are flush with the lower siding. sometimes the gable siding is just flared out at the bottom to over lap if thats the case the esiest for you is to cut of the bottom inch oor so and just nail it tight. If you cant do that you can make the siding match the overlap. if you measure from the bottom of the existing siding up to the overlap you can often get the lalps in the vinyl to fit right over it. and you will never see it.

I realize this is kinda difficult to explain in a post. if youd like to email me with your phone I can call you

dgreen43@frontiernet.net

Dick
              Last edited by papadick; 04-03-2006, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• Salty
                • Feb 2006
                • Akron, Ohio

Thanks for the info Dick.
                I did check with my local Carter Lumber and they have a special low profile inside and outside corner for bay windows. Looks like it is barely thicker than the siding so that may work.
                As for removing the old siding, I really don't want to leave it there because it is dry rotten in some places and wet rotted in others. I suspect that the previous owners left it unprotected for long periods of time and slapped paint on it just to make it look good for the market.
                The gable truss is definately set out by 1/2". I remember doing this when I was helping build homes in this area about the same time this one was built.
                Also, I discovered today that the box stores want way too much for their siding compared to the local lumber yards. Way too much more!!

Comment

• jlake1998
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Washington
                  • BT3100

siding options concrete board

I put vinyl siding on my home about 6-7 yrs ago. It does look good and protects well from the moisture. At the time concrete board was not very popular or common.

If i was to side my home now i would strongly consider hardie plank or a simular product

vinyl= no painting, good protective moisure barrier,perty much just hangs on the side of the structure, can be brittle in cold and make sure your BBQ is not to close, bugs can hide in crevases.

hardie plank=adds structual integrity, cold or hot does not really matter, heavy- not sure if this is a deturant. with wavy T-111 you may have to put in a underlayment.

Good luck, the less corners the better on a siding job.

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                    • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by jlake1998
                    I put vinyl siding on my home about 6-7 yrs ago. It does look good and protects well from the moisture. At the time concrete board was not very popular or common.

If i was to side my home now i would strongly consider hardie plank or a simular product

vinyl= no painting, good protective moisure barrier,perty much just hangs on the side of the structure, can be brittle in cold and make sure your BBQ is not to close, bugs can hide in crevases.

hardie plank=adds structual integrity, cold or hot does not really matter, heavy- not sure if this is a deturant. with wavy T-111 you may have to put in a underlayment.

Good luck, the less corners the better on a siding job.
                    In these parts vinyl siding has been known to cause rot and mold in the framing because of the local humidity. Hardi plank has the same advantages as brick.
                    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Salty
                      • Feb 2006
                      • Akron, Ohio

Hummm...does that stuff need to be painted???
                      Yowzers!
                      I don't much like to paint!
                      Besides, seems to me that if the siding lets in moisture then it isn't installed correctly!

Comment

• EarlinePassmore
                        Handtools only
                        • Nov 2016

Hi there, installing vinyl siding to a ranch house can give it an elegant look. Well, installing vinyl siding on your own can be possible, but to ensure the safe and quality results, I would recommend you to get the siding installed by the professionals only. Our neighbor also had beautiful blue colored, custom made vinyl siding installed by the vinyl siding contractor Fairfax, VA and it looked really great.

Comment

• JimD
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lexington, SC.

I tore off aluminum siding on our Pittsburgh house (i.e. a couple houses ago and 20+ years ago) and replaced it with vinyl. The front was brick so I only had to deal with the ends and back. It was two story and the garage was in the basement so the one end was almost 3 stories tall. I did one end first (the shorter one), then the back, then the tall end. I purchased pump jacks and made my own 4x4 posts out of 2x4s with the joints staggered. I used 2x12s to walk on. It took weeks of nights and weekends to do but was not difficult at all. I put up the 1/4 thick Styrofoam they sell mainly to make sure it wasn't fastened too tight. I think it is definitely a do-it-yourself kind of job as long as the wife will tolerate the schedule. My vinyl siding cost about what the neighbors paid to have a contractor paint the aluminum and my siding held up a lot better.

Comment

Working...