X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveS
    • May 2003
    • Minneapolis,MN

Dumpster size for carpet disposal?

Does anyone have any idea how big of a dumpster I need to get to dispose of 650 square feet of carpet and padding?

I can save about $100 by getting a smaller dumpster, but I'd hate to get one too small.
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Well, if you figure the carpet with padding is 1" thick, then

650 sq. ft. x 1/12 ft = about 55 cu. ft.

If you tripled or quadrupled that, you might have good guesstimate. So 150 to 200 cu. ft.?

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• lkazista
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Dumpster sizing is based on cubic yards. A full sized pik up bed is 1 square yard, so figure out how many pick up truck loads you would need.

Also, my local guy will come by, and take a look at your pile, and tell you what to get. Ofcourse you would need to rip up the carpet and make a pile first.

Lee

Have fun pulling up all the staples!

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I recently ripped up ~800ft of carpet and padding, rolled it all up and stashed in the basement for disposal. I checked the local prices for dumpsters then, and...

Went to BORG, bought hooked utility knife blades and a large box of contractor trash bags. I ripped the carpet into foot-wide ribbons, rolled em up, and stuffed them into bags, 3-4 rolls to a bag. Over the course of next several weeks, I'd put out the bags 4-5 at a time on collection days. In a couple months, carpet was gone.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Check with the dumps or drop-off centers where you live. I don't get trash service so I have to take mine. The drop off center lets you bring carpet so long as it is from your house. If the carpet is in good shape, Habitat for Humanity sometimes takes it.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...