X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdjr
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2021

Featherboard

Getting ready to make a featherboard (or two) out of some pine scraps. Is there any reason that I should not cut it against the grain?

Thanks in advance
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I imagine intuitively, that the "fingers" will be much more likely to break when cut against the grain, than with the grain!

I know for a fact that crosscutting thin strips for a half lap,​ for example, results in easily broken fingers:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	854972

But cut with the grain, long thin fingers will be more flexible which is the purpose,
    like these:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	537.4 KB ID:	854973

Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-29-2023, 11:17 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cdjr
      Forum Newbie
      • Jun 2021

Thanks for the quick response. I understand your point. I do have enough scraps to go with the grain so I will make them that way. Sure don't want to make them twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Long featherboards are easier to clamp/position etc., anyway. You can always cut them shorter but its much harder to make them longer.
        Also, I find simple jigs are not that hard to make, the experience with the first one always means the second one is much better for your personal needs.
        Don't be afraid of making them twice.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cdjr
          Forum Newbie
          • Jun 2021

Thanks, I've made a couple so far. First one the feathers are all different sizes. The second one the feathers are all the same but too thick. Each one is a learning experience for sure. Got a piece of pine, I have enough to make plenty if I need them. If not, I can use it for other jigs.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I’ve found that Sweetgum, Blackgum.. and probably any in the gum family of trees makes exceptionally good thin strips. A 4’ long strip 1/8” thick can be tied into a knot without breaking. Can’t do that with pine. For your jig I would suggest making thinner strips with more spacing between strips. You want it to have plenty of spring, not firm like a lot of the plastic featherboards sold today

Comment

• cdjr
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2021

All great input. Thanks for the input. A lot of things that I didn't think about.

Comment

• capncarl
                capncarl commented
                Editing a comment
                Let us know how your scrap pine featherboards work out for you!
            Working...