• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Ridgid R4512 still a good saw?

My cousin is setting up a workshop and asked me for advice on what tablesaw (cabinet saw) to get. I told him if he isn't willing to spend $1000+ on a new cabinet saw, then he should be looking at Craigslist for a used one. Alternatively, I suggested the Ridgid R4512 to him. He doesn't have 220 in his shop area (although he could add it), but he does like that the Ridgid is easily mobile and I remember this saw getting solid reviews. Is it still a good buy at $600? I have not used that saw, but if you've used it compared to the BT3100, how does it compare? Is it night and day when it comes to power?

Thanks,
    Paul
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Neighbor had one, I wasn’t impressed. The motor sounded like it was runnning 3600 rpm. I tried to look under the hood at the guts but couldn’t see much there. Peering through the zero clearance plate, trunion system didn’t look impressive and felt less impressive when operating the cranks, gave me the impression it was little more than one of the cheap saws with a circular saw motor. It was a belt drive saw though. I think it was 3 hp. less than my craftsman shop vac. It might be an ok saw for a homeowner that wants to build a picket fence or a couple of wooden lawn chairs. Your first recommendation to look for a used cabinet saw was the best advice.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have an R4512 and and it is about 3 years old and my brother in law has one as well about 6 months older. It is pretty good for the money. Dust collection isn't great and I replaced the fence with an Incra TS/LS, the miter gauge with an Incra miter 5000 sled, and the blade guard with a shark Guard. All in all I spend about $1000 upgrading it.

The miter gauge it comes with is trash.
      It occasionally blows a 20 amp circuit on startup even though it is the only thing on that circuit.
      The stock blade will be on it this weekend because I'll be working with salvage lumber, otherwise I wouldn't use it.
      The rip fence isn't bad but it's been in a box since about 3 months after I got the saw. I only used it until my Incra fenc arrived.
      Dust collection is poor compared to the BT3000 and fabulous comprted to my ShopSmith. The dust port points straight down under the saw about 6" from the floor.
      The wrench and blade storage is a pain to get to if you add and extension table to the right side.
      The built in mobile base is nice, but it isn't easy to lower it off the wheels without seeming to drop it on the floor. It also interferes with getting a 4" 90 degree elbow on the dust port.
      There's no sliding table for it and if you want to add one from Jessem or Laguna, plan on sawing way some of the motor cover.
      I'm concerned about blade wobble. With a Zero Clearance throat plate installed, Sound changes as the blade comes in and out of contact with the slot cut in the throat whil the saw is running

If you register it, it has a liftetime warranty. Other than a broken switch, (my fault) I've had no issues with it.
      I like dual adjusting wheels vs the single function wheel of the bt3x00 and adjustments seem pretty smooth on mine.
      It seems ot have a reasonable amount of power, but my other prior saws were a Ryobi BT3100, 1.5hp and a Shopsmith 1.125 hp. I can still stall it with 3/4" hard maple if I push too fast.
      Very little vibration
      Rail mounted switch is easy to turn use and turns off nicely with a bump of the thigh
      Can be wired for 220, but I've found no need to.
      The top on mine was perfectly flat. My BIL's had a high spot on the left side and he had it machined flat locally.
      Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I think for what he wants to do (plywood cabinets), I've been able to steer him towards a Kreg tracksaw kit. He doesn't want to go the used route and he has a benchtop saw so I think that will see him through for now.

Thanks for your input.

Paul

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I’m not sure about the Kreg tracksaw but the Makita tracksaw set up I purchased several years ago for a plywood cabinet project convinced me that I could just about do away without a tablesaw by using the tracksaw and a my sliding miter saw.

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by capncarl
            I’m not sure about the Kreg tracksaw but the Makita tracksaw set up I purchased several years ago for a plywood cabinet project convinced me that I could just about do away without a tablesaw by using the tracksaw and a my sliding miter saw.
            I have the Festool TS75 and just about doing away with a table saw is correct. I still use it to rip face frame parts and cabinet door rails and stiles. Pretty much anything under 3" in width is easier to do on the tablesaw. If there was a good jig that would let me make those rips safely and without the piece slipping under the track, my TS would be gone.
            Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

The Festool MFT is the missing link. The track saw fits on it and does most everything a table saw does, and handles small pieces safely. The only drawback is the cost.

Comment

• candy
                Handtools only
                • May 2019

There are a number of great brands to choose from. It is unlikely that that you will find any significant differences as a beginning woodworker between the brands. An experienced woodworker may have certain features or refinements they will prefer that won't make much difference to you, yet. Brands to consider, would include, Delta, Powermatic, Jet, Grizzly, General, Rigid and SawStop.

Comment

• sanderzz011
                  Handtools only
                  • Dec 2019

Yeah, it works perfectly.
                  Last edited by sanderzz011; 12-26-2019, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Working...