X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BizCoach
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2004
    • Milford, CT.

Again it depends what you're making and what kind of portability you need. I'm a hobby wood worker in a small basement shop. If you work in a small shop - but everything on wheels. I wish track saws were a thing when I was starting out. That plus a band saw would have served me better than a table saw.

If you're doing production work and need efficiency and repeatability you might consider the Eurkeazone EZSmart system. It's not cheap but it is expandable so it can grow with you.
    www.CEOBootCamp.com
    Tools to help you run your business better

Comment

• RossJonnes
      Handtools only
      • Apr 2019

Who can pick out for me the best product from the list provided in this site?
      We scour for market for the best portable table saw, Have a look at all of the reviews on the products so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

• Carlos
        Carlos commented
        Editing a comment
        Nobody. There is no such thing as "best," just a bunch of compromises where you choose what matters to you. I'm now using an early 90s Unisaw with a Biesemeyer fence, and it's "best" for me, but maybe not for you.
    • capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

SawStop CNS175-TGP36 1.75Hp Contractor Saw.

Probably the best contractor saw on the market. Comparing it to the other saws on this list is crazy as it is 2x as expensive as any saw on the list. If I have to replace my Powermatic 64 saw that I have built into a large cabinet it would this saw or one of sawstops larger cabinet saws.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Without a doubt, the Sawstop, and it will cost more than the others too, but it will be worth it if you can afford it. It does have a slight learning curve or the economic safety, but it is not difficult. Just read the instructions on the safety features well. it is a safe saw, but it can be costly if one does not understand the situation. Sometimes wet lumber can trigger a stop and it will cost you a new blade and a new brake.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• onedash
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Maryland
          • Craftsman 22124

I am pretty happy with my craftsman hybrid and Biesemeyer fence but have been giving some thought to upgrading to a sawstop pro. Anyone know how their fences compare
          YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• tmaceroli
            Established Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Forked River, New Jersey, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

I've had a BT3100 for a little over 15 years, and it has served me very well. I have cut full sheets of 3/4 ply and MDF on it in the past, but haven't done that in a few years. The reason I bring that up is that the fence and the table size on the 3100 are just about big enough to allow you to do some serious work. Whenever I've looked at those lower end contractor saws, the tables seem so small, and the fences seem so flimsy. If you're planning on building anything of any size, like a kitchen cabinet, I wouldn't.

One of the earlier posts mentioned a Craftsman table saw that is similar to the 3100. I don't have any experience with that saw, but I would at least take a look at that one, if only to compare capabilities with one of the saws you mentioned.

Some other posters mentioned getting a track saw instead. Most of the good ones cost way more than the table saws you mentioned, and it's not going to be as easy to get repeatable cuts of exactly the same size as it would be on a table saw. Plus the number of operations you can successfully perform on a table saw, e.g. cutting dadoes and tenons, makes the table saw much more versatile than a track saw. There is a reason that a good table saw is the centerpiece of most woodworking shops.

If I was getting started today, I would start with the Delta 36-725 table saw. It retails at Lowes for $599, but you can routinely find it on sale for $500. If you open a Lowes card, you can probably get another 10% off, so you'd be getting a quality saw with an excellent fence, large table capacity, good rip capacity, and a built-in mobile base for around $450 bucks. If you really think about it, this is a tool you're going to have for a long time, so that might work out to $50/year, or less, and it will be safer and easier to get good results than with one of the cheaper saws.

I would also look at the Bona saw guide and circular saw plate to adapt your existing circular saw for track-like performance. I would use this to break down sheet goods to more manageable sizes before cutting to final dimensions on the table saw. With a good blade in your circular saw (I use the Diablo fine finish blades. Excellent blade for the money, and you can usually get a two for the price of one deal at HD), you can get very clean cuts in sheet goods and other materials.

Hope that helps.
            Tony

"Nothing would be done at all if a man waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault with it."
            - Cardinal Newman

Comment

Working...