This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickdaustin

Dado Blade

I just got started with woodworking and one of my first purchases was a BT3100.

I recently purchased an Oldham 7" Adjustable Dado from my local HD. Last night was my first time using this blade building a frame for a pegboard project I found in ShopNotes. I noticed that the cut with the grain was very clean. For cuts across the grain (at the end of a board) the cuts were very rough and there as a lot of tearing where the blade entered and exited the edge of the wood.

Is this normal when using a dado across the grain? Would a more expensive blade be a better choice?
  • Ken Weaver
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Clemson, SC, USA
    • Rigid TS3650

I don't have any knowledge of the Oldham, but using my Freud SD206 I don't see any tearout or rough cut as you describe.
    Ken Weaver
    Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Tom Hintz
      • Feb 2004
      • Concord, NC, USA.

If I remember right, the Oldham 7" Adjustable Dado is a wobble-type blade. If so, they are prone to making rough cuts because of the action of the blade.
      The Freud set mentioned is a stacked dado that cuts far cleaner, in part because the blades track straight.
      The stacked dado sets are more expensive but do a much better job.
      Tom Hintz
      NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• knight_01
        Established Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Madison, AL, USA.

My suggestion is if you want reasonable performance and to keep it low cost. Go on Amazon.com and get the Avenger Carbide Dado 6" stacked set. It's 40 bucks. If you want awesome performance and pay a little more, then get the Freud SD206. It's between 80 and 90 bucks I believe.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Consider that the edge cut of a dado groove is done by the outer teeth of your dado set.

A stack dado will typically have 24 teeth on the outer blades which are in "constant" contact with the wood making a cleaner edge than
          the wobble dado which will have basically one tooth cutting the whole edge.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rickdaustin

You are correct that the Oldham is a wobble type bland. Thanks for the responses (can't believe how quickly, either) and since last night was the first time I used the blade I'm going to return it and spend the extra required to get a stacked blade.

Again, thanks. This formum is great!

Comment

• monte
              Forum Windbag
              • Dec 2002
              • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
              • GI 50-185M

And welcome to the group!
              Monte (another darksider)
              Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• gmack5
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

rickdaustin,
                When you purchase your new Stack type Dado, be sure you get a 6" diameter blade. I don't believe that those are available from HD. You'll need to go to Amazon.com and buy it over the web, both the SD206 and the Avenger are available from Amazon. Whatever you buy, make sure it will handle the 4800 RPM of the BT3X00 Saw.

Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
                Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
                George

Comment

Working...