X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jarhead
    • May 2004
    • Boynton Beach, FL.

Best length for F bar clamps

I am trying to build up my small collection of F bar type clamps. What is the most used size in the shop? Is it better to by the longer ones first and work your way down?
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Everyones needs are different but I find that I use my 12" and 18" the most.

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

It depends entirely on what kind of projects you build.

If you're glueing up layers of stock for things like table legs, your 6" clamps will get a workout. Wall cabinets are typically 12" deep, so you need that size, but bookcases are sometimes as much as 16" so the 18" size might be a better choice since it can cover a 12" depth without being too unwieldy. Many furniture pieces and base cabinets runs 20"-24" deep, so you need 24" clamps for these. These last two sizes will take care of most of your face frame needs, and will also be useful for many doors.

Beyond that you would need whatever lengths it takes to cover the widths/lengths/heights of your projects. Something only you can answer.

In general I would say a buying philosophy of erring on the side of the clamps being too long is correct, within reason. Bessey K-bodies and Jorgensen CabinetMasters are HEAVY, but F-body clamps are not too bad, so you can deal with the extra weight of (for example) 18" F-body clamps where 12" clamps would suffice without too much extra hassle. OTOH, there's no sense buying EVERY clamp "too long" because the shorter sizes do get a lot of use, and they cost less too, meaning you can have more clamps in your collection for the same money.

I'm guessing all this isn't really helping much. FWIW, I have around 60 F-bodies all told, consisting of 10 to 14 each of the 6", 12", 18", 24" and 36" sizes, and am always surprised at how often I find myself pulling the very last one of a certain size off the rack. The adage that a woodworker can "never have too many clamps" is absolutely right.

EDIT: Changed 30" in the foregoing to 36"; I don't own any 30" clamps (and haven't missed them: when I need clamps this long, the 36" size works just as well). Also, similar to Dave, I would say that I use my 18" clamps the most, with the 12" a very close second.
      Larry

Comment

• gmack5
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

My clamp "set" consists of at least two of each size, 6" thru 36",
        plus a pair of "Quick Clamps" several sets of wooden clamps of different sizes, about 6 3/4" pipe clamps and a variety of "C" clamps, from 2" thru 4".

Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
        Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
        George

Comment

• jarhead
          • May 2004
          • Boynton Beach, FL.

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

It depends entirely on what kind of projects you build.
          ...but bookcases are sometimes as much as 16" so the 18" size might be a better choice since it can cover a 12" depth without being too unwieldy...
          I think a bookcase for the basement may be my next (ummm, really first real) project on th BT3100. I can't believe it's taking me this long to start a project. I am the type who has to own every tool before starting something (Hitachi M12V should be arriving today).
          I am thinking of picking up some clamps from maxparot:

These clamps look like they are similar to HF's.

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

I use all the sizes up to 48" but most of the time I use 24" or under.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• caribouriver

You might want to start somewhere in the middle - maybe around 24" - and then add larger and smaller ones as you take on new projects. Your next project will help you determine the sizes that you need.

Be aware that some of the cheaper clamps tend to flex quite a bit, a problem that becomes more evident at they get longer.

Here is a photo that illustrates the "bigger is not necessarily better" theme. Although the 36" clamps got the job done, they sure did get in the way.

Comment

• Tundra_Man
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

As far as F clamps, I've got 6 12" and 4 24". I don't have enough of either. I use the 12" more often than any others. Over 24", and I use my pipe clamps.
                Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

you can use over-size clamps where short clamps will work but not vice versa.

But oversize clamps can get in the way and tip over small projects.

That said probably a good starter set of F-clamps would be
                  2 x 6" F-clamps
                  2 x 12
                  2 x 18
                  2 x 24
                  and 2 x 36
                  That's like 10 clamps and at HF's frequent sale prices might set you back $50 or 60 or so. Note not all clamp sizes are on sale at one time so it might take a couple of sales to fill this out. IF you have to start with fewer, probably 12" and 18" are good. Sorta depends if you buiild big stuff or small stuff.

Also I like the one-hand Quick Grip (Q-C) clamps by Irwin (accept no substitute) in the 6" and 6" minis, really handy for quick setups.
                  Get 2-4 of each and maybe some bigger (12") ones in the mix if you want. If you are only allowed four clamps in the shop I'd get 2 6" Q-G minis and 2 6" Q-G.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

I will offer a different opinion on the number of each size clamp. For an edge glue-up I try to use a minimum of 3 clamps, with the center clamp on the opposite side of the stock, to help keep the piece flat. (on short pieces place 2 clamps on the ends)

That being said, I try to buy clamps in sets of 3 or 4.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

Working...