• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pdogg57
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005

garage dust?

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to woodworking so forgive me if this question seems a little dumb. I'm setting up a workshop in my garage and every time I'm done in there my nose always feels very dry, sometimes to point of minor bleeding. Can this be due to dust? I haven't had a chance to make too much dust of my own yet but when I do I always wear a dust mask and make sure I have plenty of ventalation since I don't have a dust collection system yet. I don't know if this info will help but my garage is approx. 10X20 ft. has one side with no insulation or drywall and home to a few spiders I have not yet gotten rid of. I also live in southern california.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestion on what I might do to remedy this problem? I only get dry nose when I've been working in the garage for a while.

Thank everyone.
    Alcohol...the cause of and solution to all of life\'s problems.
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

It actually sounds to me like you are drying out. How's the moisture level in there?? You may consider a humidifier, but it might be bad for the wood.

Keith
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• Ken Weaver
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Clemson, SC, USA
      • Rigid TS3650

What Keith said. You may be a little more sensitive than most.
      Ken Weaver
      Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• dlminehart
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • San Jose, CA, USA.

Dust off a surface. A couple hours after you've finished working, run your finger over a horizontal surface. If you pick up a lot of dust, you're probably breathing the stuff as well prior to the bulk of it settling out.
        - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• mater
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • SC, USA.

Maybe you are having an allergic reaction to something in the garage.
          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• pdogg57
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2005

Thanks for all the info guys
            Alcohol...the cause of and solution to all of life\'s problems.

Comment

• Woodchuck_Buck
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2004
              • Leesburg, VA, USA.

While this subject is open, what have any of you here found to be an efficient, cost effective solution for rampant dust? It turns out that I've deveoled an allergy to fine particle wood dust, which SUCKS! Even with the respirator yesterday I am in pain and had to hit my step-son's Albuterol inhaler a few times last night just so I could breathe.
              <i>There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.</i>

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Woodchuck_Buck

While this subject is open, what have any of you here found to be an efficient, cost effective solution for rampant dust? It turns out that I've deveoled an allergy to fine particle wood dust, which SUCKS! Even with the respirator yesterday I am in pain and had to hit my step-son's Albuterol inhaler a few times last night just so I could breathe.
                Several people have added the 3M furnace filters to a regular box fan. Just tape one to each side and let it run. Probably not as effective as the Jet or Delta units, but much cheaper.
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Woodchuck_Buck
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2004
                  • Leesburg, VA, USA.

"Ahhhh," said the blind man who was pissing into the wind, "it's all coming back to me now!"

I had to buy a high output fan a few years ago to dry my carpeting after a hot water heater died. I could build a box to mount that inside of and have ducting redirect the outflow to the other side of the go'rage and set it up where a high efficiency furnace filter fits nice and snug at the intake!!!!

If ever we meet I promise to not jump up and wrap my arms and legs around you!

(ps: would that work or would I be wasting my time and money?)
                  <i>There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.</i>

Comment

Working...