• Show
Clear All
  • tk_jr
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • Taylor, WI, USA.

Rip advice

Hi all,

I need to rip 10 2x8's. On the second board, it became impossible to continue pushing forward, so I stopped the saw and pulled it out (with *great* difficulty); the kerf had closed behind the splitter.

Now, I still need to use this board, if at all possible. It's been sitting outside for the past couple days since bringing it home (at about 10-15 degrees in the garage), and I brought it inside. Would allowing it to come up to temperature help this type of situation? Or, if not, would putting a wedge in the end of the board, past the cut, allow me to go ahead complete the rip? Or, is this a dangerous situation and I need to forget about it?

Thanks for your advice.

-Tim K.
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

Did you try flipping it over and starting in from the other end with the same side on the fence? This might work but it's still going to be a warped board. Just meet up with your other cut and shut down the saw. Don't push it all the way through.

Bill
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• dedaddy
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Dallastown, PA, USA.
      • Jet SuperSaw w/sliding table and jointech fence

I had the same thing happen to me ripping a 2x4. I had to stop everything, insert a wedge in the kerf behind the splitter, started things up and continued.
      Lee
      =============
      I live in my own little world. That's OK. Everybody there knows me!!

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

The binding may be from the kerf closing on the riving knife, but it may be that the piece between the knife and the fence is bowing and doing most of the binding. In this situation, I've sent the board back through in the same direction, recutting the same kerf until it goes all the way.

Regards,
        Tom
        p.s. Remember, if it doesn't feel safe, well, I can think of a lot of options that are less expensive than even a co-pay at the local ER, including a very nice bandsaw.

Comment

• tk_jr
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2003
          • Taylor, WI, USA.

Thanks everyone; I wound up following a little of everybody's advice: I flipped it end-for-end and recut, and when enough got past the splitter, used a wedge just in case. Worked like a charm. On the subsequent cuts, I used that wedge again, just in case. Thanks for your advice. Now, on to planing and gluing up my benchtop!

-Tim K.

Comment

Working...