This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

Air compressor filtering

Just used my PC pancake compressor for the first time, actually the first time I've ever used a compressor. I was amazed when I released the pressure after use at how much water spewed out of the fitting! I knew compressors did this, but the amount surprised me. So...

Should I attach air filters and water collectors? Haven't had much success in locating either with 1/4" NPT fittings except for very large ones that often include a regulator and look more like they were made for wall mounting. I guess small ones that mount at the compressor would be best, if really necessary.
  • RickT
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003

I have a 30 gal Craftsman that always expells water from condensation when I drain it. It's recommended to drain your compressor at the end of every day it's used to prevent your tank from rusting too much. The water collected on the bottom of the tank won't likely end up in your air lines or air tools, but I put a Campbell Hausfeld filter on mine when I use my nailers.
    Rick

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by MilDoc

Just used my PC pancake compressor for the first time, actually the first time I've ever used a compressor. I was amazed when I released the pressure after use at how much water spewed out of the fitting! I knew compressors did this, but the amount surprised me. So...

Should I attach air filters and water collectors? Haven't had much success in locating either with 1/4" NPT fittings except for very large ones that often include a regulator and look more like they were made for wall mounting. I guess small ones that mount at the compressor would be best, if really necessary.
      When you released the air and water spit out
      did you use the normal air outlet or the drain at the bottom to release the pressure?

If you used the drain at the bottom then its normal for water to accumulate there and should be drained after use to prevent early tank retirement disease.

If air+ water came out your hose then that's a little unusual.
      Did you point it at something and see water drops? or did it just feel wet on yuor hand? Its common for air to feel wet when it blows on you because it cools when it expands and may make your hand feel wet simply because the drop in temperature cools you hand like being wet would do.

If you really need filters and water traps then using plumbing items called reducers (e.g. 1/4"NPT x 1/2" NPT reducer) will get your thread sizes adapted. depending upon size configuration they may also come as bushings and/or nipples.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...