• Show
Clear All
  • drunkcat
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Elgin IL
    • BTK

length for pipe clamp

Just picked up 4 HF 3/4" pipe clamps (2.99ea) and plan on going to the BORG to get 2 10' lengths of pipe. How do you recommend I have them cut down? Should I go with 5' sections x4 or 5' x2 & 3' x3 or some other combination? Will the BORG thread and cut black pipe? These will be my only clamps over 12" (for now).

Thanks!

Scott
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Did you just ask "how long is a piece of string"?

IIRC these things don't need to be threaded. Aren't they a slip fit over the pipe, with some sort of mechanism for clamping down?

I'd wait until I need to use them, then cut the length I need.

YMMV

JR
    JR

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

One end needs to be threaded. The Borg will cut and thread it for you, if you can find someone to run the machine. My pipe calmps are mostly 4', but I have 2 6' clamps threaded on both ends and keep a pair of 2' 'extensions' to add some versatility.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Pappy beat me to it, but:

You only need one end threaded for each clamp, so you only need a single cut per pipe if you're going with 4 five-footers (assuming the 10 foot sections are threaded on both ends already?). That, BTW, would allow you to clamp stuff up to about 4.5 feet, which is kind of a "sweet spot" for cabinetry applications.

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

• Brian G
          • Jun 2003
          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
          • G0899

How about, for each 10' length, you have them cut and thread both ends of 1', 2', 3', and 4'. Then also buy some pipe connectors so that you can mix and match lengths to suit the project.
          Brian

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Knuckles

How about, for each 10' length, you have them cut and thread both ends of 1', 2', 3', and 4'. Then also buy some pipe connectors so that you can mix and match lengths to suit the project.
            Would that keep them solid enough?

I have 2 4' and 2 5' pipe clamps at this time. I need lots more...

One negative about pipe clamps is that if you only need say 2' of clamping distance, the other 3' will stick out of one side (no way to balance it so it isn't so lopsided). Also remember that a 5' pipe won't give you 5' of clamping capacity, but more like 4 1/2'.

-Tim

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

That's how I attach my extension pieces. The pipe nipples stay on the 2' sections which slide into U bolts on my BT3000 stand and serve as lift handles to move the saw.

Simple matter to pull the sliding tail piece off a clamp, thread on the extension, and slide the tail onto the extension. The joint only needs to be hand tight on one side since the pressure of clamping pulls against it. Quick change over to have four 6' clamps or to convert my 6' clamps to 8' if I need the capacity.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

Get 3/4" 10' plated (zinc?) pipe, cut it in half and enjoy.

As far as lengthening your pipe with addons and nipples and things.. tappered threaded pipe can be a pain to take apart. You will be chewing on stuff with pipe wrenches. Chewed up pipe + wood project = potential disaster.

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

quote:Originally posted by Hellrazor

Get 3/4" 10' plated (zinc?) pipe, cut it in half and enjoy.

As far as lengthening your pipe with addons and nipples and things.. tappered threaded pipe can be a pain to take apart. You will be chewing on stuff with pipe wrenches. Chewed up pipe + wood project = potential disaster.
                  The nipples are threaded tight on my extension pieces and I hand thread them onto the main section wheI need them. Never need a wrench to take them apart.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• gdog
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Soperton, Georgia.

I have some of the HF 3/4" clamps. Went to Lowes and got some 4 ft pieces of black pipe, it was already threaded on both ends. They have it in several different lengths.
                    Gordon

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

I have 4 3 foot pipe clamps, 6 4 foot clamps and 2 six foot clamps. Most have thread on both ends so I can have fewer longer clamps by using connecters. 3/4 inch pipe is plenty heavy for 3 foot pipe clamps - I think 1/2 inch pipe is OK for 3 footers and they are then lighter. I would probably go with 4 foot and 6 foot if you want to use lengths of 10 foot pipe. I do not know that six footers need threads on both ends but I would do it with the 4 foot - so you can have 8 foot clamps by connecting two together. I suspect that 8 foot is about as long as you want to go with 3/4 pipe.

When you get a pipe clamp too long it is difficult to apply much pressure because the pipe bows. I have used 1/2 inch clamps for six and seven foot clamps but have not been very happy with them (that is why I have a couple 4 foot and six foot 3/4 inch pipe clamps).

Jim

Comment

• don_hart
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2003
                        • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

Onr thing you will find at HD is that it is more exspensive to have a pipe cut and threaded than it is to buy a precut and threaded piece. That said I often buy a 10' piece and cut it in half making 2 5' sections with one end threaded. A few months agao I bought a pipe threader from HF and now cut and thread my own pipe. I like to have both ends threaded so I can add pipe to increase length with a union.

Don Hart

You live and learn. At any rate you live.

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• Bollox
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

My local Lowes charges 25c per cut and 25c per threaded end on black pipe (and then they dont normally charge me at all). I think last time I paid about $10 per 10 ft length, and 5ft lengths were about $8. Definately cheaper to buy the 10 ft and get it cut/threaded.
                          Mike

Comment

Working...