X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msoomro
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005

SMT on BT3100

My SMT had a little play in it as it moves from front to back. If I tighten the four nutx and screws that holds it tight, then the SMT is very hard to slide.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  • jarhead
    • May 2004
    • Boynton Beach, FL.

You are overtightening the SMT. You can reach a point where it slides smoothly and doesn't have play in it.
    Please go over George's alignment procedure:

Comment

• MargoC
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2004

The four screws are "eccentric" which means they are like a cam. I think one of them is not. The instruction book isn't very clear on how to do this but you will find good help on this forum. Just remember that you will need to adjust the bolt from the top and hold it while you gently tighten the nut on the bottom. I'm not explaining it very well but I had the same problem.

Comment

• RickLab
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Plano, TX, USA.

The above advise is correct.

In other words, you do not TIGHTEN the screws for the SMT, you ADJUST them.

Comment

• Roger109
          Established Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Great Bend, Kansas, USA.
          • BT3000

Well said Rick ,it took me some time to learn this.
          Owner of classic 1995 BT3000

Comment

• RickLab
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Plano, TX, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Roger109

Well said Rick ,it took me some time to learn this.
            Thanks, I kinda liked it too

I think I should add for anyone adjusting these though, that if you don't read the link that Jarhead provided to Gmack's post (which you SHOULD) at least [u]take it easy </u>with these adjusting screws - they can be fragile.

Comment

• jgscott987
              Established Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Greensboro, NC, USA.
              • BT3100 +

I just aligned everything on my saw last night. In adjusting the SMT, I came across two helpful ideas:

1. Use some Johnson's Paset Wax on the guides on the SMT Base. it slides like a dream now!

2. The SMT flexes a bit when you clamp down the miter fence. This has the effect of pulling the guides together slightly. Your SMT may slide perfectly when the Miter Fence isn't clamped down, but become harder to slide when you clamp down the fence. I set mine up so there is a tiny bit of play when the fence isn't clamped down, an no play when the clamp screw is tightened.

Comment

• msoomro
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2005

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll be sure to check out the link.

Thanks
                Munawar

Comment

• gmack5
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

One other thing to be considered.... The Clamp for the Miter Fence consists of a 5/16-18 bolt that passes thru a plastic bracket that provides the clamping pressure to hold the Miter Fence in whatever position you put it. The hex head on the clamping bolt rides IN a grove on the bottom of the SMT. The groove is sized in such a way that it keeps the bolt from turning as you tighten the knob on top of the bracket. If the Clamping Bolt is properly installed (head in the groove) there is no way that it could deform the Sliding Miter Table, since it merely clamps a piece of Aluminum (the SMT base) between the Miter Fence and the head of the bolt. IF you put a washer under the clamping bolt (on the bottom), or just straddle the groove with the bold head, straddling the the sides of the groove that it was designed to ride in, it might deform the SMT when pressure is applied by clamping the Miter Fence with the Clamping Bolt improperly installed. YMMV

Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
                  Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
                  George

Comment

Working...