PU, stain, glue etc and freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PU, stain, glue etc and freezing

I am cleaning my shop. Living in Minnesota, all material in the shop are exposed to temperatures between (roughly) -20F and 100F. Now I wonder what materials will survive that without loss in performance. I would think latex paint is probably gone, as is water-based PU. But what about:

- Oil-based PU
    - PU based glue (Gorilla etc)
    - CA
    - Oil-based stain
    - Water-based stain
    - Tung oil

Thanks

Gerd

I can't say for certain, but most finishes and glues should be kept from extreme temperatures. I quit keeping all my glues and finishes out in the shop a few years ago. I have noticed that they last a lot longer now. I was more concerned with the lengthly periods of high heat that we get down here. My General Finishes stains state "Keep from Freezing" on the label.

I converted an old rackmount server cabinet into my finishes cabinet inside the house. I made several boxes/treys with handle cutouts so they can be easily moved out to the shop for the day. Normally, I just grab the can of wax and bottle of glue before I head out to my shed. I also keep my tapes in there too.

I read a good article by Bob Flexner on storing finishes recently. http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...nish_materials Some good info in there.
    Erik

Comment

It just so happens that I was reading my can of poly yesterday (Minwax) and it stated "Keep from freezing".

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

"Keep from Freezing" - I wonder how that is to be interpreted? "Freezing" means different temps to different liquids. It would be nice for them to give a more specific answer.

I can see water based finishes freezing between around 32 to 25F, where as oil based can go way down to below 20F.

So, I wonder if the labels mean freezing as in 32, or as in the liquid itself freezing.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

maybe keep a portable tray or box of common finishes and glues you can take to the shop when you work... you should definately keep them from extreme temperatures - like less than 40 F or so and not more than about 80 F.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

If a can of Minwax Poly freezes, it stays milky white even after it dries. That stuff is really hard to sand off, by the way.
            Chr's

Comment

Working...
            X