This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soccerdude

mistake?? new owner....

I hope this wasn't a major mistake, but I just bought a used BT3000 from a person on craigslist (10+ years old (the saw, not the person!)).

It looks like its in OK shape, but I want to give the machine (and stand) an overhaul and see if I can get the thing in better shape. It has a decent looking Diablo 60 blade on it, as well as a new looking Ryobie adjustable Dado blade. I paid $175 for everything.

What (if anything) can I use to clean the table surface? After its clean, I intend to wax the surface. Also, the rails are a bit sticky, is there a suitable way to clean those up? I hope to use the router table feature pretty soon.

I fired it up once (didn't cut anything), and it sounds fine.

I'm new at using table saws of any type, and part of me is wondering if I should have just bought a newer entry level machine to learn on...

any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by soccerdude
    I hope this wasn't a major mistake, but I just bought a used BT3000 from a person on craigslist (10+ years old (the saw, not the person!)).

It looks like its in OK shape, but I want to give the machine (and stand) an overhaul and see if I can get the thing in better shape. It has a decent looking Diablo 60 blade on it, as well as a new looking Ryobie adjustable Dado blade. I paid $175 for everything.

What (if anything) can I use to clean the table surface? After its clean, I intend to wax the surface. Also, the rails are a bit sticky, is there a suitable way to clean those up? I hope to use the router table feature pretty soon.

I fired it up once (didn't cut anything), and it sounds fine.

I'm new at using table saws of any type, and part of me is wondering if I should have just bought a newer entry level machine to learn on...

any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
    SoccerDude, Welcome!

This saw is a good entry level for some people and also a good one for fine woodworking for some too. The main point is how it is used. This saw was not built to be pushed hard such as a 5 HP construction or production type of saw, nor abused as on a job site saw. It works well for anyone who will treat it with respect. There was a fellow on here (Dave in Cairns, Aus.) who used to build multi-thousand dollar furniture with his. It can do great work but it takes patience. It is not built to rip 2X4s all day long but it will cut and rip 4 X 4s, if done with patience. It is more of a light weight precision machine.

For some, it will not stay in alignment, for others, it goes through moves and two or three years between the need for alignment adjustments. Many who do heavy duty woodworking and cutting and the need for moderate speed in ripping a 2X4 or other - have moved up to a more powerful saw.

The success you get from this will be based on your personal expectations, experience and work habits. This is a very subjective thing.

Since you mentioned "entry level", I am deducting that woodworking may be new for you. What level of experience do you have with woodworking with other machines?

One thing that I would recommend is read safety protocols. Double check and triple check where your hands and fingers are; use the blade guard and splitter when ever possible. Watch out for kickbacks. This is just a starter. I will let others add more.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• RAFlorida
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
      • Ryobi BT3000

Welcome to a great site for the BT3x and

woodworking.
      +1 for what Hank posted. The saw is great for hobby and building your cabinets, etc. I've had my BT3000 for well over 10 years and it still does great. Rebuilt our kitchen cabinets with it and some remodeling to boot. Not problems at any time.
      But I'll add a little bit of advice, check out 'LCHIEN' posts and see his signeture for his great facts write-up. Just email or pm Loring and I'm sure he'd be happy to send you a copy via email. It's one of the best write-ups you'll ever find for the BT3x.
      Good luck in your endeavors with you great little ts.

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

As others have said, the very first thing you should do if you are new to table saws is study safety. There are a zillion ways to do something unsafe with a table saw, but there is also a safe way to do almost anything.

Asking if you made a mistake buying a BT 3000 on this website is a little like asking if there is a God while standing in a room full of Priests, Ministers and Rabbis etc. I think the overall response may be a bit based.

However, one HUGE plus to buying this saw is the very existence of this website. While the old Packard sales line ''ask the man who owns one' (I did, it was a 1956, and probably the best car I ever owned) is likely to give you some prejudiced answers, in this case it also gives you the experience of hundreds of people who own EXACTLY the same thing you do.
        Where else are you going to get that kind of knowledge about any product, let alone one that can be as complicated as a table saw?
        Answer: nowhere!
        Welcome to the club!

Now that I'm done proseletyzing;

I use cream of tartar on a green scotchbrite pad. be careful to wrap it around something that is dead flat. Rinse and wax with Johnson's paste wax. There are probably a zillion other ways that will work also, stay tuned.
        Last edited by herb fellows; 10-20-2010, 07:04 AM.
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• natausch
          Established Member
          • Aug 2009
          • Aurora, IL
          • BT3000 - 15A

No mistake in my mind. I loved my BT3K until it was time to upgrade to a hybrid saw.

The table surface, rails and fence are aluminum, so short of using oven cleaner or another Alkali based cleaner you'll be fine. Denatured alcohol should work fine to remove the stickiness.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Welcome Soccerdude to a great site and not just for the BT3k saw! Clean 'er up, wax 'er up, paint the line red and email Lchien for his awesome BT3k FAQ. Also clean underneath by removing the sheet metal panel by the plug, there tends to be a lot of wood dust in there that you can remove and then lubricate the moving parts. Good luck and welcome again.
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• DrChas
              Established Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Burlington, Vt, USA.

Yup, loved my BT3K. Used it for years until I had some spare cash and upgraded last year to a saw stop. I had rail extensions and mounted a router in the extension table. Made a great work station. Never did have any major alignment problems, but I also treated it well, and used it for its intended purpose: Hobby level fine wood working.

It may be worth getting a nice thin kerf saw blade. I don't know about the one that came with your saw, but a good blade makes all the difference in the world.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Hank said it so well I have little to add other than...

My BT has done every single thing I have asked of it. Somewhat slowly when ripping 2x4s (which I have done), but feed rate and correct blade choices are important here...

FWIW, I have the following blades for it...

Freud Diablo D1024X 24T ripping blade.
                Freud Diablo D1040A 40T General Purpose. My main blade.
                Freud Diablo D1080X 80T Crosscutting / Finishing blade.
                Oshlun SDS-0630 6" dado stack.

Never heard of such a thing as a Ryobi adjustable dado blade... But then again, you never can know about everything... The owners manual recommends against adjustable dadoes, and honestly, they don't make very nice dadoes from what I have seen...

This saw will take and make nice, clean VERY accurate cuts with a reasonable feed rate, but like was mentioned, this machine is certainly aimed at the hobbyist. I am not annoyed enough by the slow-ish feed rate to want to upgrade, and honestly, there are very few saws I would consider. Anything I replaced it with would HAVE to have a Sliding Miter Table, and a riving knife...

FWIW, you got off about $25.00 cheaper than I did 2 years ago on my used BT3100...

I should mention that if your saw did not come with one, you really ought to pick up the owners manual. There is a LOT of very valuable information in that thing...
                Last edited by dbhost; 10-20-2010, 02:47 PM.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by soccerdude
                  Also, the rails are a bit sticky, is there a suitable way to clean those up? I hope to use the router table feature pretty soon.
                  I just use paste wax on the table surfaces, but not on the rails. The fence can have problems clamping properly if they're waxed. I'll use 409 or similar cleaner on the rails. A couple passes with some wax paper on the inside on the mounting slots on the rails will make them slide easier though. I'll also use the paper on the rail edges of my SMT too.

You made a good choice on a BT for your first saw. As long as you get it set up properly, it'll be fine. It's also much, much better than any other cheaper bench top saw. (if that's what you are thinking an entry level saw is). My first one was a 10" Skill. Saws like that probably drive more people away from woodworking. Getting my 21829 (new Craftsman equivalent of the Ryobi BT) was like a night and day difference.

There's some videos floating around that Ryobi produced. Those are a pretty good source for someone new to the BT and saws in general.
                  Here's a thread that contains links of the DVD videos on Youtube: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=37679
                  Last edited by pelligrini; 10-20-2010, 02:22 PM.
                  Erik

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

Welcome aboard. I'm another who has had the saw for over 10 years. Never had alignment problems at all. This is a very good saw, but it does have limitations. Be certain to read Loring's FAQ. If you're not very familiar with table saws, I'd even recommend reading it before doing much cutting. Be sure to use a thin kerf blade with this saw.

Ed
                    Last edited by Ed62; 10-20-2010, 06:24 PM.
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Welcome to the Asylum!

While you are cleaning underneath, check the shims. If the blade raises and lowers smoothly, they should be fine. Keep the surfaces they slide on waxed. Also clean and wax the threads on the lift and tilt mechanisms. I use candle wax on mine.

Avoid any wax or sprayt lubes that contain silicone. It will migrate to the surface, get into the wood and screw up finishes.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• soccerdude

Thanks everyone for the great advice/input. It makes me feel better about things. I have watched the Ryobi DVD/video about the saw (or at least the one about the 3100). And I wont be showing the kickback video to my wife. I do have the owners manual, which I'll read thouroughly as well. But this is all great information that I'll take to heart.

I'm fairly handy, have experience with many other tools, but TSs are new to me. Looking to learn proper technique, but for wood cutting/joinery, but also for keeping all my digits intact.

Appreciate it, Ben

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

Soccerdude,

I bought a BT3100 about three or four years ago, and it was my first table saw too! To date, I've used it for a lot of projects including building a couple of libraries. My experience with the BT is no where near that of the gentlemen who have already posted; but, I have got to tell you that I love my BT and find it does everything that I ask of it.

I agree with all of the previous posts and want to reiterate treating this saw with respect. While not the heavy cast iron and big motor'd beast that some consider the "ultimate", I find my BT fits me very well and treated properly, it holds it's settings precisely.

As a first table saw, I have no complaints for lack of a miter slot and really love the sliding miter table.

One thing to do first: get yourself a push stick! I do not take chances when I use any kind of cutting tool, especially a table saw. Use the guard wherever possible and don't work when you are tired or distacted.

If you face something that makes you wonder, please post your concerns and you'll find great advice here on this forum.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...