• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Nova Midi Chuck to HF Lathe Question?

I just took advantage of the Woodcraft sale, coupon, and free shipping to buy a Nova Midi Chuck (and some bushings to make up the $75 for the coupon) but now I'm trying to install it on my HF 34706. The chuck directions say:

"This is important for accuracy. The chuck body must contact an accurate register on lathe, either a shoulder on spindle or bearing face etc (sic) to ensure chuck will run true. Any modification required (e.g. spacer) would be the responsibility of the customer."

As you can see in the photo, the chuck lacks about the thickness of a nickel touching the nut on the headstock side of the spindle before it bottoms out with the jaws closed. Should I use large washers as spacers to make up this space? Is there any reason a washer would not work properly? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Richard
    Attached Files
    Richard
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Something's not right there. My WoodRiver chuck / adapter sits flush to the bearing on mine... Have you tried installing the adapter without the chuck to see if it threads all the way?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by dbhost
      Something's not right there. My WoodRiver chuck / adapter sits flush to the bearing on mine... Have you tried installing the adapter without the chuck to see if it threads all the way?
      There is no adaptor. The chuck body is threaded and installs directly on the spindle. (1" - 8 TPI) If I open the jaws up all the way so that they do not block the threaded hole of the chuck body (on the tailstock side of the chuck body), then the chuck will install all the way on, but the jaws can't close. This defeats the purpose of having the chuck if you cannot adjust the size of the jaws.
      Last edited by phrog; 08-11-2010, 07:10 PM.
      Richard

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

Richard, here is a pic of that chuck mounted on my Jet with the jaws closed. You have room for 1.055" of shaft inside the chuck, measure the threaded area sticking out of your headstock, my Jet happens to be .99".
        A UHMW washer from www.pensbyhans.com/Bushings.html may be the answer it will also keep the chuck from locking up and being difficult to remove. Pic with the washer installed is attached.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Whaler; 08-12-2010, 10:50 AM.
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks, Dick. Your photos and descriptions helped greatly. Think I'll try the washer route. Also, think I may try this guy's pen bushings. They look interesting.
          Last edited by phrog; 08-12-2010, 11:26 AM. Reason: Addition
          Richard

Comment

• Whaler
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Sequim, WA, USA.
            • DW746

Originally posted by phrog
            Thanks, Dick. Your photos and descriptions helped greatly. Think I'll try the washer route. Also, think I may try this guy's pen bushings. They look interesting.
            Richard, you are welcome.

The best bushings out there are from Johnnycnc www.penturnersproducts.com His bushings are for turning without a mandrel which is the way to go.
            Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Richard,

Sorry I am so late returning to the party. My #34706 threads measure out at something like 1.05" from the flange surface. If you do not have enough depth in the chuck to handle that, and it doesn't look like you do... I would get a spacer like Dick mentioned above. I had to do something similar with a grinder wheel which spins a LOT faster than the lathe, and it is dead on accurate... If the UHMW won't work for you, try McMaster Carr for a stainless machine bushing with a 1" ID. You may have to put a thin film of oil on the shaft to get it to go though...

FWIW, my WoodRiver chuck / adapter went right on, no spacers required. But there was the adapter required. I think the thread in the chuck is something goofy like 1.25" or something like that...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• phrog
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2005
                • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by dbhost
                Richard,

Sorry I am so late returning to the party. My #34706 threads measure out at something like 1.05" from the flange surface. If you do not have enough depth in the chuck to handle that, and it doesn't look like you do... I would get a spacer like Dick mentioned above. I had to do something similar with a grinder wheel which spins a LOT faster than the lathe, and it is dead on accurate... If the UHMW won't work for you, try McMaster Carr for a stainless machine bushing with a 1" ID. You may have to put a thin film of oil on the shaft to get it to go though...

FWIW, my WoodRiver chuck / adapter went right on, no spacers required. But there was the adapter required. I think the thread in the chuck is something goofy like 1.25" or something like that...
                Thanks DB. I got a bushing as Dick suggested and it filled the space adequately. If it should break in the future, I might try the stainless bushing. Again, thanks.
                Richard
                Richard

Comment

Working...